Alliance to visit Zoji La today
Kargil, Dec 8: The tension prevailing in this border town due to the closure of Sonamarg-Drass sector of the highway over several days past defused today after a meeting between the district officials and representatives of Kargil Alliance, spearheading protests against the administration.
It was decided that a team of the Alliance led by the former chairman and chief executive councillor, Asgar Ali Karbalayee, and former MLA, Zanskar, Ghulam Raza, would visit the Zoji La mountain pass area on Wednesday to assess the condition of the road stretch, official sources said, adding that vehicular traffic would be allowed if it was found traffic-worthy.
It was decided that in future decision about Zoji La pass would be taken jointly by the administration officials and local leaders of Kargil and not by the authorities in Srinagar, Jammu or Ganderbal.
Meanwhile, a protest rally was held here today to urge the authorities address the problems facing the people. Addressing the people, Karbalayee said the situation in the highway town was expected to ease following the decision of sending a team to visit the Zoji La area tomorrow. There was no untoward incident as the authorities had ordered heavy deployment of police in the town.
Lastupdate on : Tue, 8 Dec 2009 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 8 Dec 2009 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 9 Dec 2009 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM NEWS
- Suicide bombers target ISI office in Multan; 12 killed
- 127 killed in spate of Baghdad explosions
- 'Rao govt had made wrong political judgement'
- JKLF (R) condemns Nanaji’s re-arrest
- Congress miffed at Kargil road closure
- Alliance to visit Zoji La today
- PSC ‘bends’ rules for asstt surgeons’ posts
- Govt to establish medical varsity: Chib
- First prepare roadmap, then restructure: Ittihadul Muslimeen
- We won’t give in to extremists’ pressure: PPF
- Qureshi’s condition improves; still in ICU
- Police-public meet held at Zadibal
- NC leader welcomes employment policy
- Book release function organized
- ‘Sgr-Jammu highway to become 4-lane by 2015’
- Employment policy incomplete: Hakeem
JAGJIT SINGH TO PERFORM ON DAL BANKS TODAY
‘I was craving for invite’Srinagar, Dec 8: Day after the You-Tube sensation, Terra Naomi, performed live on the banks of Dal Lake, the environs would again come live on Wednesday when the Ghazal maestro More
CM announces incentive for sports persons
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Dec 8: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday announced special incentives for the outstanding sports personnel. “Government will award Rs 5 lakh to any sports person of the state who wins More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Islamabad/Lahore, Dec 8: Militants today targeted Pakistan’s powerful ISI for the second time in less than a month as suicide bombers struck its office in eastern Multan city detonating their vehicle packed More
- GK Business
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Dec 8: In a decision that could impact companies with operations in the north-east, Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh, a tax tribunal in Amritsar has ruled recently that such entities will More