China denies visa to Northern Command chief
Action Amounts To Questioning JK’s Status: India
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
New Delhi, Aug 27: Triggering a major diplomatic row, China has refused to permit an Indian army general to visit that country as he is in-charge of “sensitive” Jammu and Kashmir, prompting an angry retaliation by India which put all defence exchanges with it on hold till the matter was sorted out.
India, which has already lodged its protest with China for denying permission to Northern Commander Lt Gen B S Jaswal, today said the Chinese action amounts to questioning the status of Jammu and Kashmir which is “unacceptable” as it relates to the country’s sovereignty.
In a retaliatory action, New Delhi refused permission to three Chinese officers - a Senior Colonel and two Captains - to visit this country in August.
Gen Jaswal, General Officer-in-Commanding of the Indian Army’s Udhampur- based Northern Command, was to visit China as part of defence exchanges, sources said here today.
The visit by a General-rank officer to China was agreed upon between the two countries in January during the Annual Defence Dialogue, the sources said.
However, at that time it was not decided as to who will be sent by India, they said.
When India conveyed its decision to send Gen Jaswal, China wrote back on July 21 saying it would cause “difficulty” as the officer came from “sensitive location of Jammu and Kashmir”, the sources said.
China also said “people from this part of the world come with a different kind of visa” and suggested that India may send some other officer instead of cancelling the visit.
Angry at the Chinese move, India issued to it a demarche (protest note) on August two.
It also retaliated by refusing permission to a Senior Colonel who had to deliver a “guest lecture” at National Defence College and two Captains who were to visit Panchmarhi for some course. Sources said the denial of permission to Gen Jaswal was a “matter of concern” as it has “introduced further complexities” in the already complex relations.
New Delhi made it clear that the defence exchanges will remain “on hold” till the issue concerning China’s position on Jammu and Kashmir is addressed. “Whatever will be the consequences, the Chinese side will be solely responsible,” a source said.
Amid the row, Chinese Ambassador to India Zhang Yang today met Gautam Bhambawale, Joint Secretary (China) in the External Affairs Ministry, but the sources said it was not connected with the issue and the matter was not discussed. The sources pointed out that China had been, for the last two years, refusing to stamp visas on passports of people hailing from J&K and instead issuing visas on loose sheets of paper.
India has lodged a strong protest over this action but China is not relenting.
The worrying aspect is that it has “mushroomed” now to defence exchanges, the sources said. “We don’t accept it and so have decided to put on hold all defence exchanges so that we have candid discussions with China with an aim of clarifying,” they said.
“The action is tied to China’s position on Kashmir.
We don’t accept that as it leads to infer that status of the state is yet undecided,” the source said.
India sees China’s policy on J and K being full of “dichotomy” as on the one hand it questions the status of the state while on the other hand it undertakes projects and developmental works in Pakistan-administered Kashmir. While defence exchanges, like visits by defence officials and training programmes, would remain suspended, Border Personnel meetings will continue as these are part of confidence-building measures for peace and tranquillity on the border.
In Hyderabad, Defence Minister A K Antony ruled out snapping defence ties with China in the wake of the row, saying short term problems would not affect overall approach towards China.
“It is not a question of breaking defence ties with China. We have close ties with China, though there could be some problems occasionally,” he told reporters at a function.
Commenting on the development, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said the General’s visit did not take place “due to certain reasons” but did not elaborate.
He, however, made it clear that China needed to be sensitive to India’s concerns. “While we value our exchanges with China, there must be sensitivity to each others concerns. Our dialogue with China on these issues is ongoing,” he said.
Political parties slammed the Chinese action, saying it was an “insult” to India and asked the government to take up the issue strongly.
“I am told that the visit to China has been postponed for a while. I am not aware of why it is being delayed,” Gen Jaswal said.
Lastupdate on : Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sat, 28 Aug 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM FRONTPAGE
- China denies visa to Northern Command chief
- HASEEB DRABU RESIGNS, SAYS NO REGRETS
- Panday is acting Chairman
- ‘Drabu’s removal can affect bank’s financial health’
- Cholera outbreak in Budgam
- 50 injured in Shopian clashes
- LETHAL USE OF ‘NON-LETHAL WEAPONS’
- Kashmir situation dangerous: Owaisi
- Stone pelting, shutdowns will yield nothing: Omar
‘Walk in Lal Chowk for 5 minutes’
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Aug 27: Expressing strong resentment over National Conference president Dr Farooq Abdullah’s recent statement in Parliament that Kashmiris wanted to live with India, Hurriyat Conference (G) dared More