Army beats villagers in Rafiabad
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Aug 6: Two civilians were critically wounded, when army beat up the villagers without any provocation at Ladoora Rafiabad in north Kashmir’s Varmul district on Friday.
Eyewitnesses’ told Greater Kashmir that hundreds of people from Ladoora, Nadihal, Achabal and adjoining villages marched towards Watergam on the chalo call given by the locals.
After the march ended peacefully and people returned troopers of 32-RR barged into residential houses and thrashed up inmates.
“Troopers barged into the shop of one Riyaz Ahmed and dragged him out. They beat him to pulp. When another youth Khursheed tried to rescue him troopers pounced upon him and thrashed him severely,” they said, adding that both of them received multiple injuries.
Both were shifted to district hospital Varmul, from where doctors referred Riyaz Ahmed to SKIMS Soura, where his condition was stated to be critical.
As the word about the incident spread hundreds of people, including men, women and children, took to the streets and staged massive protests demanding action against the erring troopers.
When contacted army’s Srinagar based spokesman Lt Col J S Brar denied that troopers had beaten the civilians.
However, Minister of state for Health, Javed Ahmed Dar, who is also the local MLA, acknowledged that Army had thrashed two civilians in his native village. “I have taken up matter with the police,” he said.
Lastupdate on : Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Fri, 6 Aug 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sat, 7 Aug 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Trying to save uncle, boy shot in abdomen
- Nocturnal protests: Kashmiris’ novel reaction to curfew
- Recharge kiosks run out of balance
- Army beats villagers in Rafiabad
- Baig’s resignation still a mystery
- Protest against Kashmir killings in Hyderabad
- Shun partiality: Masrat to Indian CS
- Don’t pay heed to rumours: Aasiya
- Varmul DDB meeting on Aug 9
- Pulwama, Islamabad petrol pumps run dry
- Killings of protesters expose govt’s claims: JKLF
- Shifting of Qayoom, Shaheen to Sgr jails
- Kreeri boy missing
- 1 killed, 7 injured in road mishaps
- Amarnath Yatra suspended due to inclement weather
- Moulana Showkat condemns killings
- SOG man, trooper killed
- Ayaz Akbar released
- Airtel establishes helpline in Leh
18 year Old Owais Nasir Battling For Life At SMHS Hospital
Srinagar, Aug 6: In ward no 16 of the SMHS hospital here, an 18-year-old boy is battling for life and a double-edged pain - that of losing his uncle and having himself got a bullet in the abdomen.  More
20 school children hurt in mishap
Rajouri, Aug 6: Three children were killed and another injured on Friday when two houses adjacent to each other collapsed due to heavy rains at a village in Rajouri district. Two houses collapsed More
- South Asia
Muzaffarabad, Aug 6: The Pakistan Administered Kashmir APHC chapter leader and J&K Salvation Movement acting chairman, Tufail Altaf Bhat has appealed to the United Nations to appoint a representative More