CRPF in dock over civilian killings
COI Sends Notices To 6 Battalions
Srinagar, Dec 23: The Commission of Inquiry, set up by the state Government to look into the killing of 17 out of 112 civilians this summer, has reportedly held responsible personnel of six battalions of paramilitary CRPF for the killings.
The two-member Commission comprising Justice Syed Bashir-ud-Din and Justice Y P Nargotra has issued notices to these battalions to submit their response by December 30.
Source said these CRPF battalions include 177, 179 and 53 from Baramulla and Sopore and others from Srinagar.
COI is inquiring into three killings at Islamabad (Anantnag) which took place on June 29, seven in Baramulla and Sopore between June 25 to June 28 and seven in Srinagar between June 12 to July 6. Secretary COI, Tariq Banday, said the commission initiated the process under law and issued required notifications to the concerned people. “COI received statements of facts, recorded statements of witnesses and received evidence produced before it by the parties concerned including representatives of the injured and those who died in the firing incidents at Baramulla, Sopore and Srinagar,” he said.
Commission recorded the statements of over 70 witnesses and took on record the official documents pertaining to the killings, he said.
He said Commission on consideration of evidence received deemed it appropriate to issue notices to paramilitary CRPF forces. “The personnel of concerned battalions are reported to have been involved in the firing incidents on the given dates,” he said.
Tariq said the Commission had completed 90 per cent inquiry into the killings and the remaining 10 per cent was likely to be completed by first week of January, 2011. In first week of January the matter would be taken up for consideration, preparation and endorsement of report to the Government, he said.
The setting up of an independent Commission of Inquiry was recommended by the All Party Meeting called by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in July.
A notification no. 283 of 2010 dated July 29, issued by the Law Department mentioned that the Commission would inquire into 17 killings from June 11 to July 19.
The mandate of the Commission is to inquire into the circumstances leading to the deaths, fix the responsibility where excessive force had been used, suggest measures to stop such incidents in future and recommend the punishment to those found guilty.
The Commission has been formed by virtue of Jammu and Kashmir Commission of Inquiries Act 1962 and enjoys judicial powers including to prosecute those who furnish false information to it.
Lastupdate on : Thu, 23 Dec 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Fri, 24 Dec 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM FRONTPAGE
- Be accountable, transparent: Interlocutors to JK Govt
- Kashmir policy unchanged: US
- India avoiding dialogue, Cherry-picking issues: Pak
- SRINAGAR AIRPORT TO BE DECONGESTED
- Cash-starved JK spends Rs 87 lakh on non-existent SIC
- CRPF in dock over civilian killings
- 'Militant killed in north Kashmir'
- Triple entry permit for cross-LoC travellers
- HC winter vacation from January 1
- Geelani condemns re-arrest of Shah, Reshi
CONCRETE GUEST HOUSE COMES UP ON LIDDER BANKS, PDA LOOKS THE OTHER WAY
Pahalgam, Dec 23: In brazen violation of master plan, some highly influential persons are continuing with constructions in the ecologically fragile zones of this world famous tourist resort as the Pahalgam More
- Srinagar City
DOEACC Srinagar becomes ISRO EDUSAT centre; joins hands with IIT Bombay; Database Management Workshop concludes
Srinagar, Dec 23: It were some of the top techies from across the country teaching online in DOEACC’s Srinagar centre at Rangreth via a “interactive audio-video conferencing”. Thanks to the ISRO satellite More
Jammu, Dec 23: In an hour and a half long meeting last evening, the Chief Minister, Omar Abdullah, briefed the Governor, N N Vohra, about developments on various fronts since the Darbar commenced functioning More
- News in Brief
Srinagar, Dec 23: Curfew continued to remain imposed without any relaxation in parts of Bandipora district of north Kashmir for the fourth consecutive day today following clashes in which four persons More
Commodity sells at Rs 40/kg in Jammu, Delhi
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Dec 23: After onions, it is now the tomato whose prices have zoomed past usual graph, hitting the common consumers’ purse, while exacerbating central government’s problems. According to reports More
SAYS CONFIDENTIALITY NOT UNCONDITIONAL
New Delhi, Dec 23: Barely few days after a WikiLeaks cable revealed that India was “condoning torture” in Kashmir, the International Committee of the Red Cross has defended passing sensitive information More