Drainage absence causes water logging
SOPUR LACKS AMENITIES-II
UMER MAQBOOL DAR/GHULAM MUHAMMAD
Sopur, Feb 14: The absence of drainage system in the localities of this Apple town and subsequent water logging is causing huge inconvenience to the residents round the year.
According to the residents, several localities including Siddiq Colony, New Colony, Noorbagh and other areas get inundated following heavy rainfall and snow.
“After slight rainfall or snow our locality gets flooded and when the snow begins to melt, water gets accumulated around houses making the movement difficult,” Nazir Ahmad Mir told Greater Kashmir adding that many times, water enters into the houses and damages the merchandise. He said many locals had to be shifted to safer places after flood like situation in the colony.
Khazir Muhammad, of Siddiq Colony said the residents had to put long boots in order to move out of the home.
Sources said in 2004, Rs 8.78 crore project report for the town’s drainage was submitted to government by the concerned department, but the same was pending in planning department, with no further action,
Talking to Greater Kashmir Municipal council Sopur President, Irshad Ahmed Shalla said a proposal worth Rs 90 crore had been sent to government for building infrastructure including drains in the newly established colonies of town.
Admitting the problem of water logging, he said the municipal council immediately dewaters the affected areas. “After people of Siddiq Colony approached yesterday, we asked fire service department to drain the water, which they did.”
Lastupdate on : Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Mon, 15 Feb 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM NEWS
- GMC Srinagar barred from conducting DNB course
- Forest Policy on net to seek expert opinion: Altaf
- Pak govt to provide security to foreigners working in PaK
- Drainage absence causes water logging
- Police crackdown on youth, 18 held
- Vailoo-Chatru tunnel will shorten distance between Sgr-Jmu: Saroori
- Couple among 3 killed, 15 hurt in mishaps
- Revoke AFSPA, reduce troops in JK: Mehbooba to GoI
- People should isolate divisive forces: Rana
- EJAC (Q) supports local bodies’ sit-in
- Chib inspects SMHS, SKIMS
- Sagar asks all shades of opinion to join for K-resolution
- PDP to protest essentials scarcity
- Observe strike on Feb 16, 17: JKCC to employees
- Ministers offer condolence to Ch. Ramzan
- 15 Telangana region MLAs resign
- India to spend $200 bn on defence systems by 2022
- Hindu, Muslims to celebrate Prophet's birth anniversary
ERA rejects draft, seeks corrections
GK CITY CORRESPONDENT
Srinagar, Feb 14: The preliminary draft designed for the construction of prestigious Jehangir Chowk-Natipora flyover – has been returned to project executing company for review following “major mistakes More
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Feb 14: The Peoples Democratic Party has condemned the bomb blast at Pune. In a statement, PDP Patron Mufti Muhammad Sayeed and President Ms Mehbooba Mufti have strongly condemned the More
Srinagar, Feb 14: The National Board of Examination has debarred the Government Medical College Srinagar for conducting DNB course in Radio Diagnosis and Microbiology.A letter was shot by NBE to GMC Srinagar More
- GK Business
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
New Delhi, Feb 14: Facing opposition from key allies in the UPA Government, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Oil Minister Murli Deora today discussed an "all-acceptable" hike in fuel prices but it More