Revoke AFSPA, reduce troops in JK: Mehbooba to GoI
‘HOLISTIC APPROACH MUST TO RESOLVE KASHMIR’
GK NEWS NETWORK
Poonch, Feb 14: The Peoples Democratic Party president, Mehbooba Mufti today said the government of India should initiate action to revoke AFSPA and reduce troops to build a congenial atmosphere in the state.
Addressing a seminar on Self Rule here, she said a holistic approach to resolve the Kashmir could not be delayed anymore. She said with Indo-Pak dialogue back on track, it needed to be complemented with action on the internal front as envisioned in Self Rule to induce confidence among the people of J&K.
“Without relief on these fronts to the people, credibility will elude the peace process,” she added.
She said “we cannot solve Kashmir through a piecemeal attitude or isolated legislative action. Neither can a partisan approach to score points against each other lead us anywhere.” She said the party under the leadership of Mufti Muhammad Sayeed had set a new trend by channelizing political aspirations of people even while in power and mainstream which “made it easy” for others like NC to toe the line.
She said Poonch and Rajouri would be significantly impacted by the self rule for virtual unification of the two parts of the state. She said LoC travel and trade was “not growing” and called for opening of all borders for the socio-economic growth of the state.
Emphasizing unification of both sides of Kashmir by making the borders irrelevant, she said this step would help in the economic growth of the both sides of Kashmir and heel wounds of the partition.
She said water agreements with New Delhi should be re-negotiated and J&K should have first right on its water resources.
Lastupdate on : Sun, 14 Feb 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Mon, 15 Feb 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM NEWS
- GMC Srinagar barred from conducting DNB course
- Forest Policy on net to seek expert opinion: Altaf
- Pak govt to provide security to foreigners working in PaK
- Drainage absence causes water logging
- Police crackdown on youth, 18 held
- Vailoo-Chatru tunnel will shorten distance between Sgr-Jmu: Saroori
- Couple among 3 killed, 15 hurt in mishaps
- Revoke AFSPA, reduce troops in JK: Mehbooba to GoI
- People should isolate divisive forces: Rana
- EJAC (Q) supports local bodies’ sit-in
- Chib inspects SMHS, SKIMS
- Sagar asks all shades of opinion to join for K-resolution
- PDP to protest essentials scarcity
- Observe strike on Feb 16, 17: JKCC to employees
- Ministers offer condolence to Ch. Ramzan
- 15 Telangana region MLAs resign
- India to spend $200 bn on defence systems by 2022
- Hindu, Muslims to celebrate Prophet's birth anniversary
ERA rejects draft, seeks corrections
GK CITY CORRESPONDENT
Srinagar, Feb 14: The preliminary draft designed for the construction of prestigious Jehangir Chowk-Natipora flyover – has been returned to project executing company for review following “major mistakes More
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Feb 14: The Peoples Democratic Party has condemned the bomb blast at Pune. In a statement, PDP Patron Mufti Muhammad Sayeed and President Ms Mehbooba Mufti have strongly condemned the More
Srinagar, Feb 14: The National Board of Examination has debarred the Government Medical College Srinagar for conducting DNB course in Radio Diagnosis and Microbiology.A letter was shot by NBE to GMC Srinagar More
- GK Business
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
New Delhi, Feb 14: Facing opposition from key allies in the UPA Government, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Oil Minister Murli Deora today discussed an "all-acceptable" hike in fuel prices but it More