‘Millionaire IAS officer has 220 bank accounts’
Raipur, Feb 6: B L Agrawal, an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer in Chhattisgarh, has been found to have at least 220 bank accounts and assets worth millions, official sources said on Saturday after the Income Tax department raided his residence in Raipur.
IT officials searched the residence of the state Agriculture Secretary and his business establishments of his relatives on Thursday.
On Friday, the officials similarly raided his chartered account Sunil Agrawal’s house and came across documents suggesting that the IAS officer had amassed assets disproportionate to his known income.
The officer had at least 220 bank accounts, several of them opened on fake names and addresses, and a few in the names of his domestic helps.
Efforts by IANS to contact B L Agrawal failed. A man who answered his mobile telephone said that Agrawal was “busy in a meeting”.
Income Tax department sources said they were studying documents and papers they had seized. Some documents suggest he might be involved in hawala transactions, the sources said.
Chhattisgarh’s Bharatiya Janata Party government is waiting a final report from the IT department about Agrawal’s assets to initiate action against him, official sources said.
Houses of government officials and businessmen in Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh were raided on Thursday and Friday to unearth unaccounted income.
Lastupdate on : Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sat, 6 Feb 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sun, 7 Feb 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM NEWS
- Teenager’s killing evoke widespread condemnation
- Mehbooba warns govt against using oppressive measures
- Masarat Alam booked under PSA for 7th time
- Centre bans export of essential commodities
- Thousands attend funeral prayers of blast victims, toll 31
- JK seeks highway maintenance grant hike
- Militant’s body recovered
- Omar calls for effective measures to check price hike
- ‘Millionaire IAS officer has 220 bank accounts’
- Irfan demands judicial probe in killings
- Hurriyat (M) meet today
- 5-day employment fairs conclude at Gbl, Budgam
- ‘60 militants, 7 soldiers killed in Pak’
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Feb 6: Accusing state and central government of resorting to harassment, Traders Association Poonch/Chakoti has decided to suspend cross-LoC trade for two weeks. “We have been pressing state More
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Feb 6: Various political, social and religious organizations have strongly condemned the killing of a teenager Zahid Farooq of Brain, Nishat, by the troopers. Condemning the killing, the More