Shopian tense after clashes
Shopian, Jan 12: Several people were injured when police in a bid to quell protests against it lobbed tear smoke shells and shot warning rounds in air to disperse the protesters on Tuesday.
Eyewitnesses said that the trouble began when the additional deputy commissioner, Shopian was conducting marketing checking in the Main Chowk while some policemen were accompanying him and youth threw fire pot on one of them.
“A youth caught hold of a policeman and hurled a Kangri on him. More youth assembled and shouted that he was the same police who used to torture the arrested youth for being the part of the protests during the agitation against rape and murder of Asiya and Neelofar,” said the eyewitness.
Later a contingent of police resorted to tear gas shelling and fired several rounds in the air to quell the angry protesters. But the protesters offered a stiff resistance.
They also pelted stones on the police station. Meanwhile, all the shops remained closed in the after the protests.
Lastupdate on : Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 12 Jan 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 13 Jan 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM NEWS
- Employees’ strike paralysis work in offices
- KU's endeavor to prepare aspirants for AIEEE
- Shopian tense after clashes
- Panthers party file privilege motion against Minister
- Docs cry foul in NRHM asstt surgeons list
- Khwaja Sanaullah Wani passes away
- Russian tourist hurt in Gulmarg
- Hizb militant killed in Kellar
- PDF concerned over Pandits’ plight
- Congress playing key role in JK dev: Saroori
- Altaf gives appointment letters to 30 youth
- Hr sec schools to get e-library: dir
- Migrant Teachers Welfare Association seeks release of honorarium
- HC rejects SC’s plea, says CJI’s office comes under RTI Act
SMC's SECOND ATTEMPT
After years of slumber over the alarming dog menace in the summer capital, the Srinagar Municipal Corporation has decided to do exactly what during previous experiment brought failure: sterilize dogs.& More
HARMEET SINGH/DANISH NABI
Jammu/Srinagar, Jan 12: Works in almost all the government departments including schools, colleges and hospitals remained paralysed on Tuesday in view of the one day pen-down/tool-down strike call given More
- GK Business
Jammu, Jan 12: In its endeavour to do something innovative Hotel Jammu Ashok has come up with ‘Dining in Shikara’ – A synchronization of various elements giving an exclusive dining experience.Addressing More