10-fold hike in compensation
New Delhi, June 11: The Centre today announced nearly 10-fold increase in the assistance provided towards the repair work of properties damaged during encounters in Jammu and Kashmir.
The new scheme by central government would provide the compensation up to Rs 10 lakhs, of which 70 per cent can be used for capital assets like houses damaged during anti-militancy operations and remaining 30 per cent for other properties of owners or tenants.
Earlier, the state government used provided an ex-gratia relief equal to half of the loss incurred during encounters. Maximum compensation provided under the scheme was Rs one lakh.
"Since the quantum of relief being provided by the government of Jammu and Kashmir was inadequate, the Ministry of Home Affairs formulated the new scheme with the objective of providing adequate relief for damage caused to immovable or moveable property during action by CPMFs and Army and in which there has been no involvement of the owner or the tenant," a Home Ministry spokesman said.
Lastupdate on : Fri, 11 Jun 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sat, 12 Jun 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM SOUTH ASIA
Srinagar, June 11: The ruling National Conference on Friday asked the separatist leaders and militant groups to come forward to hold dialogue for permanent resolution of the Kashmir issue. “Separatists More
- Srinagar City
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, 11 Jun: Pakistani artist Madeeha Gauhar on Friday visited Kashmir University and delivered a lecture on Theatre as an agent of social change in contemporary Pakistan. Gauhar, a creative More
*Supplementary Exam System Demand Triggers Unrest*V-C denies, Says University Closed For Summer Break
Rajouri, June 11: The campus of Baba Ghulam Shah Badshah University was closed on Friday after students seeking implementation of supplementary examination system protested and announced their plan to More
- South Asia
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
New Delhi, June 11: Pressure mounted on Arjun Singh Friday to break his silence on allowing Union Carbide chief Warren Anderson to flee the country as senior Congress leaders dismissed any role of Rajiv More
Srinagar, June 11: With scorching heat beating down in other parts of the country, the Valley has become an ideal spot for the tourists coming in droves to enjoy the incredibly pleasant June in Kashmir More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Jerusalem, June 11: Under intense global criticism, Israel has decided to set up a committee headed by a former Supreme Court judge to probe the deadly raid aboard a Gaza-bound aid ship that left nine More