Grand Mufti’s volte-face on stone-pelting
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Mar 11: A volte-face by the Grand Mufti of Jammu and Kashmir, Mufti Azam Mufti Bashir-ud-Din, on Thursday on his statement terming stone-pelting as ‘un-Islamic’.
A statement in Urdu issued by a spokesman of Supreme Court of Islamic Shariat Jammu and Kashmir, headed by Mufti Bashir-ud-Din, said, “Mufti Sahab never gave any statement on stone-pelting and the statement associated with him is baseless. He would give a press conference after his return from New Delhi on the issue.”
However, the statement issued by the Supreme Court of Islamic Shariat J&K in English today hasn’t touched the issue.
Besides heading the Shariat court of Jammu and Kashmir, Mufti Bashir-ud-Din is also the president of the State Personal Law Board.
Mufti had said in Delhi on Wednesday that the stone-pelting was against the basic tenets of the Islam whose essence is peace and brotherhood.
“Islam strongly prohibits any means of violence. The stone pelting practice is surely un-Islamic. It causes inconvenience to the people and propels more violence,” the Grand Mufti had said.
Lastupdate on : Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Fri, 12 Mar 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM NEWS
- Geelani is Back
- Involve Kashmiris in Indo-Pak talks: Malik
- Condition of widows, orphans in Kashmir miserable: Study
- Grand Mufti’s volte-face on stone-pelting
- Gunmen attacked me: Mother of missing son
- Come forward for talks on K-resolution: SAGAR TO GEELANI, MIRWAIZ
- Quake readiness drills from Mar 15
- GoI releases Rs 1.50 cr for JK village roads
- Kashmir a political problem: Zaffar
- Kashmiri lady to head ICE in London
- ‘Gmail account of Human Rights activists accessed by others’
- Pakistan invites Separatists, Bar president
- Mercury up in JK, Ladakh reels under cold
- DLSA holds IWD function
- India to sign nuclear, Gorshkov deals with Russia
- Government to consult all: Pranab
- Sanjay Dutt finally free of 'terror' charges
- Sharmila re-arrested by police
- Obama names Clinton as certification authority of Indo-US deal
‘Iqbal’s works have ever-lasting influence’
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Mar 11: Academics and experts on Wednesday asserted that Allama Iqbal(RA)’s works have “ever-lasting influence and impact”. Addressing a day-long seminar at Kashmir University, noted scholar More
‘GOVT TO CREATE WILDLIFE CONSERVATION FUND’
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Mar11: The Minister for Forest, Environment and Ecology, Mian Altaf Ahmed today said 12 lakh saplings would be planted during this year and a comprehensive strategy was being adopted for environment More
DEFENDS STRIKES, OPPOSES STONE-PELTING, CALLS FOR PEACEFUL PROTESTS AFTER FRIDAY PRAYERS
Srinagar, Mar 11: Back from New Delhi after his stay for almost three-months, Hurriyat Conference (G) chairman, Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Wednesday justified strike calls and blamed the state for forcing More
- GK Business
Srinagar, Mar 11: Any idea about how much the government loses every day employees go on strike? Well, if the estimates by statistical legerdemains are anything to go by, state exchequer faces a whopping More