Power cuts to continue
Govt Fails To Narrow Down Demand-Supply Gap
Srinagar, May 5: With the state government having failed to tide over the losses incurred in power sector due to the piling energy deficit over the years, the state power ministry is set to prolong the dark periods in future by resorting to long power cuts.
Officials say though the power generated, purchased and sold has gradually increased, the demand for power is growing very fast. They said the department was resorting to power cuts in the state to bridge the widening gap between demand and supply. The power cuts are of the order of six hours in summer and 10 hours in winter.
But even after the power curtailment, the restricted demand was around 10238.00 MUs in 2009-10 which necessitated more power purchase.
The department has entered into arrangement with Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Power Trading Corporation and Northern Grid for power purchase.
The officials concede that the total availability of power generated from ‘own sources’ is insufficient and free power in the shape of royalty from NHPC projects also accounts for very little.
“Both of these contributed just 28.87 percent of the total restricted electricity requirement and the rest 71.13 percent was purchased from other sources during 2008-09,” an official said.
He said the purchased partition doesn’t fulfill the complete requirements necessitating power cuts ranging from six to 10 hours per day. “Both purchased and self-generated power will fulfill just around 67 percent of total requirement leaving the state’s power status in doldrums,” he added.
The department has projected unrestricted demand at 2000 MWs in summer and 2247 MWs in winter while as restricted demand has been put at 1288 MWs during summer and 1434 MWs during winter. However availability during summer of 2009-10 from state’s own projects and Central Power Sector Units is somewhere between 900 MWs for summer. The deficit would be 388 MWs.
Besides attributing dismal power scenario to lack of initiatives by the Government in generating power in state sector, the officials say the chaos in the revenue realization adds to the problem.
Even though there has been steady increase in the revenue realization since 2002-03, the department has failed to meet the targets. The revenue realization in 2008-09 was at Rs 628.00 crores with valley paying most in domestic category. But the gap is wide as the target was Rs 1105 crores.
Lastupdate on : Wed, 5 May 2010 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Wed, 5 May 2010 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Thu, 6 May 2010 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Man makes crores out of mobile towers never erected
- Power cuts to continue
- Hotels pump sewerage into Lidder, violate EPA
- Free political prisoners, engage them in dialogue: Mehbooba
- SPO held for ‘molesting’ minor
- AHD trains more than 500 personnel
- UJC committed to observe int’l humanitarian law
- Army’s bailey bridge damaged
- JKSM welcomes Qureshi’s statement
- Geelani condemns livestock loot
- Jama’at concerned at moral waywardness
- Transport comm visits Lower Munda
- Poppy destroyed
- Talks futile until India accepts Kashmir dispute: DeM
- Altaf visits PHC Manigam
- JKLF pays tributes to martyrs
- HRD approves Islamic University to use AIEEE score
- Set up commission to probe wealth of politicians: Cong
Poses As BSNL Official; Forges Documents, Signatures
Islamabad, May 5: Hundreds of people in this south Kashmir district have been duped of lakhs of rupees by an impersonator posing to be the junior engineer in the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL). The More
- Srinagar City
'Raid wine shops 'to keep liquor prices under control'
Sharab Ko Aam KarooSrinagar, May 5: At a time when consumers complain that edibles, particularly mutton and chickens are being sold at inflated prices, the authorities seem concerned for boozers by keeping More
State starts techno-feasibility report
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, May 5: While Pakistan has decided to move International court against India over exploitation of the northern rivers in violation of the Indus Water Treaty, state government has started the techno More
- South Asia
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
New Delhi, May 5: Pakistan’s former army chief, Gen Jehangir Karamat on Wednesday said that India and Pakistan had made “considerable progress” on resolving the Kashmir issue between 2004 and 2007 More
- GK Business
Srinagar, May 5: Despite several ups and downs it has been marked with, the trade across LoC through Uri-Muzaffarabad route has crossed Rs 200 crore mark by April 2010 end. “Since the inception of More