Work resumes on Qazigund-Banihal tunnel
Banihal, Aug 14: After remaining closed for around a week, construction work on 4-lane Banihal-Qazigund tunnel was resumed on Sunday.
Reports said that the protesting villagers and land owners allowed the construction company to re-start the work after assurances from the district administration that the local youth will get preference of employment in the project.
Villagers had forced a private company to stop the construction work alleging that it has recruited large number of non-locals, both in technical and non-technical wings, and ignored the local unemployed youth.
Sources said that a team of officials headed by ADC Ramban, held series of deliberations with the villagers to ensure that the work is resumed on the prestigious project. The villagers have been assured that their grievance will be mitigated and local youth will be employed in the project.
Official sources said that a meeting of the company representatives has been fixed with the district administration at Ramban, this week, to deliberate over the issue.
Lastupdate on : Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sun, 14 Aug 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Mon, 15 Aug 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Educationist who never went to school
- Meet legitimate demands of striking teachers: Hurriyat (G) to Govt
- Dr Farooq urges India, Pak to resolve all outstanding issues
- Assembly session in last week of Sept
- Governor reviews post-Yatra cleanliness drive
- Judicial Academy holds lecture on time management
- JKMPLB fixes Rs 30 as Sadqa Fitr
- G H Mir for dignified life to JK people
- Give drugs, free treatment to gastroenteritis patients in Chrar-e-Sharief: Rather
- Labourer killed in cement factory
- Gurez - Bandipore road in shambles
- Work resumes on Qazigund-Banihal tunnel
- CM’s GOLD MEDAL FOR 6 OFFICERS
- 20 police officers nominated for Sher-i-Kashmir Police Medal
- Vohra for promotion of Kashmiriyat
Srinagar, Aug 14: His doctorate is enough to convey that 35-year-old Regional Director IGNOU is a well educated man. But what is astonishing about Dr Mirza Nehal Ahmed Baig is that he never went to a formal More
- Srinagar City
WHERE DID ‘TARZAN, THE WONDER CAR’ GO?
Srinagar, Aug 14: At a time when police and paramilitary CRPF have intensified day and night patrol, car and bike lifters have gone active putting a question mark on Aam Aadmi’s security in the summer More
GK NEWS NETWORK
JAMMU, Aug 14: Tight security arrangements have been made in Jammu, including the areas in and around the mini-stadium, the venue of I-Day function, to avoid any untoward incident. Additional deployment More
- South Asia
Lahore, Aug 14: Former Pakistani premier Nawaz Sharif has said the day is not far off when a commission will be set up to probe the Kargil "misadventure" in 1999, which had stabbed in the back the peace More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Beijing, Aug 14: Succumbing to mass protests, Chinese authorities today ordered an immediate shut down of a chemical plant in northeastern Dalian city after a toxic pollution scare sparked urgent More