15 minutes' exercise extends life by 3 years
London, Aug 16: People who spare even 15 minutes daily for exercise could extend their lifespan by three years.
While initial exercise cut death rates by 14 percent, additional 15 minutes of activity further reduced the rate by four percent.
This trend continued until a person raised exercising to 100 minutes daily, after which no further benefit was derived, the Daily Mail reports.
"Individuals who did a daily average of 15 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise had significant health benefits compared to individuals who were inactive," said research leader Chi-Pang Wen from the National Health Research Institutes (NHRI) in Taiwan.
Exercise seemed to protect against cancer. People termed 'inactive' had an 11 percent higher risk of dying of cancer than those in the 'low-volume' activity group.
Cancer deaths fell by one percent for each additional 15 minutes of daily exercise after the first 15 minutes. The study involved more than 400,000 people aged 20 and above, between 1996 and 2008 in a medical screening programme of the NHRI. IANS
Lastupdate on : Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM WORLD
- Watching TV for long hours shortens life expectancy
- 15 minutes' exercise extends life by 3 years
- ‘Addiction may be from brain disorder’
- Level of tiffs between spouses remains same over years
- Rejection spawns ill health, anti-social feelings
- Online addiction turning youth as lonely as elderly
- Women gossip for one-third of waking life
- Chinese herb mix may shorten flu fever
- Deadly bugs lurk in raw vegetables
- Lead poisoning in developing world alarming
- Stress drives appetite and obesity
- Cancer discovery offers hope of tackling spread
- Teachers told to use Twitter, Facebook in Kuwait
- Police charge 16-yr-old boy with murder
- US declares Haqqani network commander a terrorist
- Gunfire in Syrian coastal city; 35 dead in 4 days
- Israeli air strikes on Gaza, I killed
- China to build USD 1.8 bln water projects in Tibet
Srinagar, August 16: At last the politicians seem to be taking interest into the problems of contractual lecturers who observed their 19th day of hunger strike in Srinagar on Tuesday. Two mainstream More
- Srinagar City
GK CITY REPORTER
Srinagar, Aug 16: For the past few days, gridlocks have become a routine scene at Jehangir Chowk, particularly in the afternoons till Iftaar, while the traffic police and other concerned authorities seem More
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Aug 16: Detention of noted Gandhian and social activist Anna Hazare on Tuesday sparked off protests in the winter capital of the state with civil society, lawyers and political groups slamming the More
- South Asia
G U KYANI
Rawalpindi, Aug 16: Experts based in AJK on Tuesday revealed that they have discovered a volcano and “fault line” in Leepa Valley and Kaisarkote areas adjacent to Karnah sector near Line of Control More
INDO ASIAN NEWS SERVICE
Sydney, Aug 16: People sitting in front of TV for hours on end could shorten their life expectancy by almost five years, says an Australian study published Tuesday by the British Journal of Sports Medicine More