Online addiction turning youth as lonely as elderly
London, Aug 16: Youngsters are turning 'skin hungry' as networking online leaves them feeling as lonely as the elderly, a study has found.
Having an average of 243 Facebook friends, teenagers are spending so much time on the internet that they have little time to move out with friends, Daily Mail reported the study as stating.
Commissioned by Yours magazine, the study included people aged between 18 and 80, it found that over a third of people spend more time chatting online than going out with friends.
Sixty percent of those surveyed said they found it difficult to make friends 'in real life' compared with online and a similar number (69 per cent) said they believe that Britain is an unfriendly place to live.
According to relationship expert Julie Peasgood, instead of breaking down society's barriers, technology has made us more isolated and it is affecting young people.
She said: "You can't hug a Facebook friend. Touch calms us, heals us and allows us to connect with other people.
"It is the only basic sense considered to be essential for human life and 'skin hunger' is now recognised as being the adult version of the 'failure to thrive' syndrome seen in Second World War babies in orphanages." IANS
Lastupdate on : Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM WORLD
- Watching TV for long hours shortens life expectancy
- 15 minutes' exercise extends life by 3 years
- ‘Addiction may be from brain disorder’
- Level of tiffs between spouses remains same over years
- Rejection spawns ill health, anti-social feelings
- Online addiction turning youth as lonely as elderly
- Women gossip for one-third of waking life
- Chinese herb mix may shorten flu fever
- Deadly bugs lurk in raw vegetables
- Lead poisoning in developing world alarming
- Stress drives appetite and obesity
- Cancer discovery offers hope of tackling spread
- Teachers told to use Twitter, Facebook in Kuwait
- Police charge 16-yr-old boy with murder
- US declares Haqqani network commander a terrorist
- Gunfire in Syrian coastal city; 35 dead in 4 days
- Israeli air strikes on Gaza, I killed
- China to build USD 1.8 bln water projects in Tibet
Srinagar, August 16: At last the politicians seem to be taking interest into the problems of contractual lecturers who observed their 19th day of hunger strike in Srinagar on Tuesday. Two mainstream More
- Srinagar City
GK CITY REPORTER
Srinagar, Aug 16: For the past few days, gridlocks have become a routine scene at Jehangir Chowk, particularly in the afternoons till Iftaar, while the traffic police and other concerned authorities seem More
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Aug 16: Detention of noted Gandhian and social activist Anna Hazare on Tuesday sparked off protests in the winter capital of the state with civil society, lawyers and political groups slamming the More
- South Asia
G U KYANI
Rawalpindi, Aug 16: Experts based in AJK on Tuesday revealed that they have discovered a volcano and “fault line” in Leepa Valley and Kaisarkote areas adjacent to Karnah sector near Line of Control More
INDO ASIAN NEWS SERVICE
Sydney, Aug 16: People sitting in front of TV for hours on end could shorten their life expectancy by almost five years, says an Australian study published Tuesday by the British Journal of Sports Medicine More