Protest rally, dharna held in Leh
ANNA HAZARE’S ARREST
Leh, Aug 17: Supporters of anti-corruption activist, Anna Hazare today called for a day-long dharna and a protest march to the office of the District Commissioner.
Thousands of supporters and several political and civil society organizations decided to sit on the dharna as a mark of support for Hazare's campaign.
"It is our responsibility to support such a leader (Hazare) who is struggling against corruption without having any political or other interests," Thupstan Chhewang, former Member of Parliament from Ladakh, said while addressing the supporters.
He appealed to the present Member of Parliament, Ghulam Hassan Khan to support Anna’s proposed Jan Lok Pal bill in the Parliament.
Thupstan said it was high time that we should understand the evil of corruption and raise voice against it. “The corruption has to be eliminated at all levels,” Thupstan added.
The protests here are being organised under the leadership of civil society activist Pintu Norboo.
"The people of the country are now sick of seeing and hearing about corruption and want a revolution against this," Norboo said.
He said Anna Hazari was today’s Gandhi who wanted to get freedom for India from the clutches of corruption.
Lastupdate on : Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Thu, 18 Aug 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- McCain snubs separatists
- Malik accuses Govt of unleashing unilateral violence
- Govt’s failure to upgrade Khanabal-Pahalgam road draws flak
- Protest rally, dharna held in Leh
- 2 decades on, mother’s search to trace disappeared son continues
- Produce records: Court to Govt
- Shabir Shah, associates arrested
- 1 killed, 4 injured in road accidents
- State level energy park at Srinagar soon: Aga Syed Ruhullah
- ‘Tree Talk’ celebrates golden jubilee
- 8 officials in Budgam given awards
- Candidate raises objections in voter list; appellate authority rejects
- DIG railways reviews security arrangements
- Work with dedication: G H Mir to REZs
- Observe Yoom-i-Shuda-i-Kashmir on August 19: Geelani
- Push forward dev scenario: Speaker to Panchs, Sarpanchs
- Mubarak Gul reviews works in city
- Complete KGBV’s, science labs: Peerzada to R&B, JKPCC
Srinagar, Aug 17: The top Republican US Senator and presidential nominee in 2008 elections, John McCain, snubbed separatist leaders and opted not to meet them during his 2-day stay in the Valley.  More
- Srinagar City
DIRECTS FOR CONSTRUCTION OF POND AT KHIMBER WITHIN 2 WEEKS
SYED IMRAN ALI HAMDANISrinagar, Aug 17: High Court Wednesday directed Srinagar Municipal Corporation (SMC) to get dog pond constructed at Khimber in Ganderbal district within two weeks. The stray dogs More
Students boycott classes; Theatre artists resort to ‘silent’ protest
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Aug 17: Protests swelled in the winter capital of the state on Wednesday in support of social activist Anna Hazare’s fast-unto death in Tihar Jail, with students, local residents and theatre artists More
- South Asia
REZAUL H LASKAR/PTI
Islamabad, Aug 17: Claiming that army does not run the country’s foreign policy, Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has said the military's intentions towards India have been "overrated" and there More
Facebook Users Sentenced To 4 Years In Jail
H S RAO
London, Aug 17: Two young men who tried to incite rioters using Facebook have been sent to four years in jail, the longest sentencing so far by the courts following the four days of unrest, even as more More