Demo staged against PHE at Khanpora
Baramulla, Aug 6: Scores of people from Khanpora Baramulla took to streets and blocked the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway on Saturday against the water scarcity in the area.
The protestors accused the Public Health Engineering department for its failure to provide them potable water.
“From the past several days, we have not received even a single drop of water. At a time when people are observing fast, authorities should ensure that people don’t face inconvenience due to shortage of water,” said a protester Abdul Hamid.
According to the residents of Sopore, Chanderhama, Andergam, Wussan, Kripalpora, Wanigam, their areas were also facing acute scarcity of drinking water from the past several days. “Despite repeated pleas, the concerned department has failed to provide water to the people during this holy month,” the protestors said and threatened to launch more demonstrations if government failed to do anything substantial in this regard.
When contacted, District Development Commissioner, Baramulla, Bashir Ahmad said the water level in the Jhelum had receded to a great extent. “Even the streams and nallahs have started to dry up,” he said and the main reasons for shortage of drinking water in many areas of the district.
Bashir Ahmad said that efforts were afoot to provide water to the affected areas through water tankers.
Lastupdate on : Sat, 6 Aug 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sat, 6 Aug 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sun, 7 Aug 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Water scarcity hits Kupwara villages; authorities indifferent
- Demo staged against PHE at Khanpora
- Withdraw water tariff hike: Pensioners to govt
- ‘KU radio counseling prog evokes good response’
- Mother demands son’s whereabouts
- Valley worn-out by heat wave, dry spell
- Participants meet Guv, share views
- ‘Bharat-Bangladesh- Pak peace conference this year’
- Pro-India parties shedding crocodile tears: Salah-ud-Din
- Continued detention of pro-freedom leaders HR violation: Jama’at
- Girl among 2 commit suicide
- ‘Measures afoot to streamline Revenue Department’
- Drought like conditions alarming: Beigh
- IGP Rlys inspects Budgam-Baramulla Sector
- Planning Commission appoints Dr Zargar WG member
Kupwara, Aug 6: Acute water scarcity has gripped Sohipora, Hayhama and Chowkibal areas of Kupwara district causing huge inconvenience to the people in the holy month of Ramadhan. The aggrieved residents More
- Srinagar City
Like the hot Middle East, worship places in Srinagar have started making use of air conditioners
MASJIDS in this Himalayan region City are offering cool atmosphere this summer. Reasons: Much on the lines of worship places in the hot Middle-East, air-conditioners have made way into Masjids in Srinagar More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Jammu: Expressing satisfaction over the introduction of a special resolution on Kashmiri Pandits in the US House of Representatives, Panun Kashmir today said the resolution had vindicated their stand that More
- South Asia
Puli Alam, Afghanistan, Aug 6: Thirty-one US Special Forces and seven local troops were killed when the Taliban shot down their helicopter, officials said Saturday, and in what was the deadliest single More
Jeddah, Aug 6: The date palm, originating, as best we know, in the Middle East, has proved such a successful plant and source of nourishment that it has spread across the planet.Domesticated and bred to More