JKLF moves HC against killings
Seeks FIR In 115 Cases
Srinagar, Jan 10: In a first move of its kind in 20 years, a separatist leader has approached High Court of Jammu and Kashmir to seek justice for the families whose members were killed during the last year’s summer unrest in Kashmir.
The Chairman of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), Muhammad Yasin Malik, Monday formally filed a public interest litigation (PIL) in the High Court, seeking filing of FIR and probe into all the 115 deaths that took place during the 2010 summer unrest.
“We sought the court intervention to seek justice for families who lost their sons and daughters in the unrest,” Malik told Greater Kashmir.
Malik said so far police has not lodged any formal FIR in most of the killings.
“I visited the houses of all the victims who died during the unrest. I also visited concerned police stations to inquire the status of their cases,” he said. “It was shocking to know that police has filed no FIR and prepared only reports in connection with killing of a person in a particular area.”
So, Malik said, it became a priority for him to get the cases registered. “Whenever delegations from rights bodies like Amnesty and others visit the Valley, they ask us if we have approached the court in connection with the killings or other human rights violations. They always seek court reports about the cases. So we thought it appropriate to take the step and move court against the killings,” he said.
The state government has set up a judicial commission to probe 17 deaths which took place from June 11 to July 13 in 2010.
“They have only filed FIR in 17 cases,” Malik said. “Rest of the cases are not being investigated.”
Senior counsel, Zaffar Ahmad Shah filed the petition on behalf of JKLF.
“We believe justice will be delivered,” he said. “Even if we go by the official version that teens and minors were killed during stone pelting, how can they kill them by firing and lobbing shells? Show me if it is written in any Indian or International law to murder youth who throw stones,” he said.
Malik said the transition of violence to non-violence since 2008 has left no scope for bloodshed.
“Despite that youth are being killed for just expressing their views peacefully. It is highly condemnable,” he said. “It’s a proven fact that violence is being perpetrated from the State side only.”
He said instead of giving political space to the youth to get their aspirations heard, “the authorities are murdering them.”
“The civil society and justice groups in the world including India should raise their voice in support of Kashmiris.” Malik said.
He also criticized detention of High Court Bar Association chairman, Mian Abdul Qayoom, and his heckling by the right wing activists in Jammu.
“If a legal expert of such a stature is victimized like this, one can only imagine the fate of a common Kashmiri prisoner,” he said.
Lastupdate on : Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Tue, 11 Jan 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM FRONTPAGE
Bandipora, Jan 10: Nearly 40 persons, including 33 militants, five force personnel and two civilians were killed in this north Kashmir district in various militancy related incidents in 2010, while two More
- Srinagar City
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Jan 10: The residents of Shamasabad Sector-3 Bemina, have complained of erratic power supply in the area. “One part of our colony often reels under darkness owing to some line More
Jammu, Jan 10: A local court here on Monday sent the President of Kashmir Bar Association (KBA), Mian Abdul Qayoom, for 14-days judicial custody. The KBA chief, facing charges of trying to wage More
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Jan 10: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today reviewed the progress on various projects being executed in J&K by the Economic Reconstruction Agency (ERA). Chairing the 16th meeting of the More