Will share Samjhauta information: India
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
New Delhi, Jan 16: Government Sunday said it will share information with Pakistan on the investigation into the Samjhauta train blast once the probe is completed.
Home Secretary Gopal K Pillai said New Delhi understands the concerns of Islamabad as several Pakistani citizens were killed in Samjhauta blast but investigation has not been completed yet.
“Now the investigation is on.... Investigation is not complete. As and when the investigation is completed and charge sheet is filed, we would definitely share the information with Pakistan,” he said.
The blast in Samjhauta Express, which runs between India and Pakistan, took place on the intervening night of February 17 and 18, 2007 near Panipat in Haryana.
Right wing Hindu activist Swami Aseemananda, in his confessional statement given to the National Investigation Agency, “admitted” his and his colleagues’ involvement in the blast that left 68 dead, mostly Pakistanis.
Pillai said government was committed to bring to justice anyone who commits terror irrespective of his religion or anything else as it considers such person as nothing but a “criminal”.
“I think in one sense, it (the probe) shows that we are willing to be fair as far as possible. If somebody has done a crime, irrespective of who is he, what is his religion, we will go after him and make sure that he is punished,” he said.
The Home Secretary said he hoped that the message goes to Pakistan, which is yet to bring the perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attack to justice, so that they also do it irrespective of who the person involved is.
No real investigation in Pak in 26/11 case: Pillai
Meanwhile India has expressed its “disappointment” over Pakistan’s delay in bringing the perpetrators of Mumbai terror attack to justice, saying “real investigation” has not taken place in that country.
Home Secretary Gopal K Pillai said the prosecution attempt in Pakistan to bring the 26/11 guilty to justice “has not moved an inch” and India’s request for providing the voice samples of the handlers of the attackers has fallen on deaf ears.
When Home Minister P Chidambaram asked for action against the 26/11 perpetrators and voice samples of handlers of the attackers during his Islamabad visit last year, his Pakistani counterpart Rehman Malik told him that “you would not be disappointed by our response”.
But, Pillai said that “seven months down the line, there is no Pakistani response. We are disappointed.”
No key person, who was actually involved in the 2008 Mumbai terror strikes or giving directions to the attackers, has been arrested. Only second or third-level conspirators were put behind the bars.
“That is not the real investigation.
“From the steps so far taken by Pakistan, we would say we are quite pessimistic because when the Home Minister was in Islamabad, the interior Minister actually told him that he would respond,” he said.
Indian investigators have transcripts of the recorded conversations between the terrorists at each of the sites of the attacks and their handlers based in Pakistan.
India has given the names, photographs and addresses of the handlers and Pakistan just need to check out their voices.
“If they give voice samples to us and if these match with what we have, then we would know that this guy was sitting in Pakistan and directing the operations in Mumbai.
“You don’t need any further proof,” Pillai said.
On the eve of the second anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks in November last year, India had conveyed to Pakistan that “substantive and verifiable” progress has not been made in the probe into Mumbai attacks case in that country.
Asking Islamabad to fulfill its “obligation and commitment” to bring to justice the perpetrators of the 26/11 carnage, India had regretted that no feedback has been received on several issues raised by New Delhi.
This included voice samples of Pakistan-based “handlers” of the 10 terrorists who attacked Mumbai and information about seven persons involved in the attacks whose names were given by Chidambaram during his meeting with Malik in June in Islamabad.
The names of seven “handlers” involved in terror attacks included that of two officers in the Pakistani Army.
New Delhi had also conveyed to Islamabad that it wants to send a commission to Pakistan to question jailed LeT terrorists, including Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, and to get voice samples of the masterminds who were present in the control room directing the attackers.
Lastupdate on : Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM FRONTPAGE
- Pakistan seeks full resumption of composite dialogue
- Will share Samjhauta information: India
- Police defends action against protesters
- Interlocutors arriving today
- Omar chairs UHQ meeting
- Finally, ILS start at Srinagar airport gets DGCA nod
- Traffic mess on Sgr-Jmu highway
- Snow falls heavy on PDD linemen
- No politics, it is snowfall on FB
Srinagar, Jan 16: The Chairman of Hurriyat Conference (G) Syed Ali Shah Geelani has called for a shutdown on January 26 and urged people to stage peaceful demonstrations to press for demilitarization. More
- Srinagar City
‘Local MLA played gimmicks to benefit his own men, deprived others of
GK CITY REPORTER
Srinagar, Jan 16: In less than a week of the conduction of “special police recruitment rally” in Khanyar area of Shahr-e-Khaas, the Srinagar unit of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Sunday took to More
Govt orders probe, appoints victim’s wife as SPO
SYED AMJAD SHAH
Jammu, Jan 16: Outraged at the alleged “custodial killing” of a vegetable vendor, scores of people staged a demonstration here on Sunday. Protesters were demanding stern action against the accused police More
- News in Brief
Srinagar, Jan 16: The Doctors Association Kashmir has urged the government to make changes in the health services gazette rules of 2006 for the welfare of Health Department and not for the Medical Education More
MNP likely in JK by Jan 20
Jammu, Jan 16: Millions of mobile subscribers across J&K, like their counterparts elsewhere, may now have a choice to switch over to telecom service provider of their choice, without losing their number More