PDP convenes state-level Panchayat conference on July 28
Srinagar, July 20: Opposition PDP today announced a state-level conference of newly-elected Panchayat members on July 28 to discuss empowerment of local bodies in Jammu and Kashmir.
"All the panchayat members elected recently and affiliated with PDP would be attending the day-long conference," PDP president Mehbooba Mufti said in a statement here.
She said Panchs and Sarpanchs from Kashmir and Jammu regions would be attending the conference, which will first of its kind ever in the state.
Besides discussing the political and governance scenario of the state, the PDP president said the conference would also focus on the issue of empowerment of Panchayats.
Mehbooba said empowerment of panchayats has assumed importance in view of the Jammu and Kashmir government's failure to even formally set up these institutions.
"Formal notifications of the elected members of Panchayats are still to be issued even as some of them were elected three months back," she said.
The PDP president alleged that the NC-led government was trying to subvert the system right from the outset.
"Instead of trying to institutionalize the Panchayats, the NC is trying to pressure or lure panches and sarpanches to join the party that has been routed at the ground-level," she claimed.
Mehbooba claimed even though the NC-supported candidates lost most of the seats, the defeated candidates were being patronised rather than help establish a genuine panchayat raj through elected members of these institutions.
Lastupdate on : Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Thu, 21 Jul 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Prompt public service vital for good governance: Omar
- Journalists should learn new skills to survive: Dr Malik
- Don’t embark on pilgrimage without registration: SASB
- Let law take its own course: DGP
- ‘SOP on anvil to avoid killings’
- Army holds medical, veterinary camp
- Pro-freedom parties concerned at Dr Fai’s arrest
- Kuldeep Khoda awards 194 personnel for public service
- 2 killed, 3 hurt in road mishaps
- IGP RAILWAYS REVIEWS SECURITY
- Army holds ex-servicemen rally in Bandipora
- Thousands throng shrine of Hazrat Unisia
- ITI Ganderbal pass outs seek mark sheet
- Public good should be ultimate goal of Panchayats: CM
- Geelani calls for protests on Friday
- PDP convenes state-level Panchayat conference on July 28
- Govt mulls petrol driven tricycles for physically challenged
- Congress activists protest Kashmiri students' harassment
- Javed for timely completion of road projects
- ‘WRA to ensure equal distribution of drinking, irrigation water’
- Army goodwill school Balapur celebrates annual day
- SVO produces challan against Naib Tehsildar
- Mujahid Manzil to be preserved as heritage building: Mubarak Gul
- SHRC seeks report from DGP
‘My Government made time-bound service delivery a legal binding’
GK NEWS NETWORK Srinagar, July 20: Terming prompt delivery of public service as an important ingredient of good governance, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, Wednesday said that his focus is on creation of More
- Srinagar City
LOCALS THREATEN ROADSIDE PROTESTS
SYED IMRAN ALI HAMDANI
Srinagar, July 20: The residents of Nawa Kadal localities like Khanqah-e-Sokhta, Lakhiryaar and Dhar Kocha are up in arms against the concerned authorities for what they said “snail’s paced and haphazardly More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Jammu, July 20: The footfall at the Amarnath shrine is likely to breach the 5 lakh mark on Thursday with more than 4,90,000 pilgrims already having paid obeisance at the cave shrine in south Kashmir Himalayas More
- South Asia
Kabul, July 20: The Afghan Taliban’s spokesmen said on Wednesday their mobile phones, e-mail accounts and a website had been hacked to send out false messages to media claiming the movement’s supreme leader More
Slathia for multi-pronged marketing strategy to boost sales, exports
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, July 20: Minister for Industries and Commerce S S Slathia today inaugurated a special handloom expo-2011 at picturesque tourist destination, Pahalgam. The expo to continue till August 3 More
Nairobi, July 20: Parts of southern Somalia are suffering from famine, a UN official said Wednesday, and tens of thousands of Somalis have already died in the worst hunger emergency in a generation.The More