2 militants killed in Keller gunfight: Police
Shopian , May 26: Police on Thursday said that two militants of Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) outfit were killed in a gunfight with soldiers in this south Kashmir district.
“Policemen, soldiers of 44 Rashtriya Rifles and paramilitary CRPF men of 14 battalion cordoned off Khanday Mohalla, Keller this afternoon and launched searches. Militants holed up inside a residential house opened fire on the search party which was retaliated triggering an encounter,” a police official said.
He said the gunfight continued till late in the evening in which two militants were killed.
The Station House Officer Keller Shafqat Attar identified the slain militants as Imran Ahmad Khan and Qari Zubair.
MILITANT BODY RECOVERED
Meanwhile, police on Thursday claimed that it recovered another body of a militant from the encounter site in north Kashmir’s Handwara area.
Pertinently, on Wednesday policemen and soldiers of 21-RR and 52-RR had launched a joint operation at Shatigam Ganai Mohalla Handwara, resulting in an encounter in which two militants were killed. However, only one body was recovered yesterday.
Lastupdate on : Thu, 26 May 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Thu, 26 May 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Fri, 27 May 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Govt approves mobility plan for Sgr, Jammu
- Budgam youth, wife booked for crossing LoC
- SHRC for prosecution of SSP, SHO in fake encounter case
- 2 militants killed in Keller gunfight: Police
- Compete with Geelani at political level: Hurriyat (G) to CM
- Woman killed, 7 hurt in road mishaps
- Akhter Mohi-ud-Din’s 3 books released
- Kot Bhalwal Jail turned into Abu Ghraib: Hilal War
- Pensioners threaten agitation
- 4,131 sarpanches to be trained in disaster management
- Shortage of Tehsildars hits revenue department
- K-resolution must for peace in South Asia: JKSM
- INTACH organizes painting competition
- Hurriyat (G) leader’s family seeks AI intervention
- Dr Farooq, Vohra, Omar grieved at demise
- Prof Gupta visits Sumbal college
- Implement guest control law: JKLPWA to CM
JERATH POSTED DG IMPA
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, May 26: The state cabinet Thursday approved preparation of Comprehensive Mobility Plan (CMP) for the capital cities of Jammu and Srinagar by M/S RITES Ltd. The cabinet which met here under More
- Srinagar City
Family, others hold special prayers at Jhelum banks to get his body
Srinagar, May 26: Amid breeze and drizzling along the Jhelum banks this evening, every eye was moist as the family of Muhammad Shakir Bhat, a Biscoe boy who drowned last Friday, prayed to Almighty Allah More
Meter Testing Lab Closed For Last 4 Years
Jammu, May 26: Shortage of funds has made the sophisticated lab for technical back-up of e-meters non-functional for last four years.Sources said that valuable equipments brought by the Power Development More
Srinagar: The Urs Mubarak of the most illustrious companion of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and first Khalifa of Islam Amir-ul-Momineen, Hazrat Abu Bakr-i-Siddiq (RA) was observed on Thursday with full reverence More
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, May 26: Minister for Technical Education and Youth Services and Sports R S Chib has said the government would encourage private players to set up institutions of technical education More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
New Delhi, May 26: In a first for the elite foreign service, some 300 IFS officers, including Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao have declared their assets, a list of which was made public today.   More