Haqqani gets marching orders in Memogate controversy
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Islamabad, Nov 22: Pakistan's ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani was today forced out of office over his suspected role in a secret memo seeking American help to prevent a possible coup in Pakistan, which had angered the powerful army.
Summoned home three days back, Haqqani was asked by Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani to quit when the envoy met the country's top civilian and military leadership to explain his position on what the media is describing as the "Memogate" controversy.
The ouster of Haqqani, 55, considered close to President Asif Ali Zardari indicated that in the tussle between the civilian government and the armed forces over the confidential memorandum, it is the latter that prevailed.
The meeting was attended by President Asif Ali Zardari, army chief Gen Ashfaq Kayani and Inter-Services Intelligence chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha.
Gilani directed authorities to conduct a "detailed investigation at an appropriate level" and asked Haqqani to "submit his resignation so that the investigation can be carried out properly", said a spokesman for the Prime Minister's House.
State-run PTV reported that Gilani sought Haqqani's resignation so that a "transparent inquiry" could be conducted into the memo issue.
The envoy's resignation had been accepted, it said.
Haqqani too announced his resignation in two messages posted on Twitter.
"I have requested (Prime Minister) Gilani to accept my resignation as Pakistan Ambassador to US," Haqqani said in a message shortly after he met the country's top civilian and military leadership to explain his position on the memo.
"I have much to contribute to building a new Pakistan free of bigotry (and) intolerance. Will focus energies on that," he said in another post on Twitter.
The spokesman for the Prime Minister's House said "all concerned would be afforded sufficient and fair opportunity to present their views and the investigation shall be carried out fairly, objectively and without bias".
"As a result of the controversy generated by the alleged memo which had been drafted, formulated and further admitted to have been received by authority in USA, it has become necessary in national interest to formally arrive at the actual and true facts," the spokesman said.
Reports have said that the powerful military has been pressuring the civilian government to remove Haqqani since Pakistani-American businessman Mansoor Ijaz claimed he had drafted and delivered the memo to former US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen in May on the instructions of the envoy.
Haqqani had dismissed Ijaz's claims and said he was considering legal action against the businessman.
The memo made public by Ijaz said the Pakistan government had sought US help to stave off a military coup in the wake of the American raid that killed Osama bin Laden in the garrison town of Abbottabad on May 2.
The memo said the government would revamp Pakistan's national security set-up by removing elements with links to militants. PTIRs 16 crore spent on Kasab in 3 years
Mumbai, Nov 22: The clamour for speedily sending him to the gallows notwithstanding, a staggering Rs 16 crore has been shelled out for protecting the country's most high- profile prisoner Ajmal Kasab.
Sentenced to death by the special anti-terror court, Kasab, in his mid-20s, is lodged in a special cell in Arthur Road jail, the construction of which alone cost the state exchequer over Rs 5.24 crore.
"Besides Rs 5.24 crore that was spent on constructing the special cell at the Arthur Road prison, Rs 26,953 was spent on taking care of his medical needs," state Home Secretary Medha Gadgil told PTI.
A whopping Rs 10.87 crore was spent between March 28, 2009 and September 30, 2010 for providing him security cover by the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), she said.
However, after the state government received the bill for Rs 10.87 crore to be paid towards deployment of ITBP, it wrote to the Centre expressing its inability to make the payment, saying Kasab's security was not Maharashtra's concern alone.
"The state government had written to the Centre asking it to consider waiving the amount. We have not received any communication so far. The issue remains unresolved," she said.
Gadgil said the expenditure does not include the legal fees for the court case.
However, contrary to claims in the media by those demanding Kasab's hanging without any further delay that the he was being fed delicacies like biryani, Gadgil said a modest Rs 27 per day was spent on providing him food.
Lastupdate on : Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 22 Nov 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM SOUTH ASIA
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Nov 22: Appealing people to make Right to Information in J&K peopleís movement, Chief Information Commissioner, G R Sufi underscored the need of creating mass awareness about this Act in More
- Srinagar City
SDA to sign MOU with Ahmedabad based company this week
Srinagar, Nov 22: Finally, the much-criticised existing Master Plan of Greater Srinagar for 2001-2021, which till now, has mostly remained confined to papers alone, is likely to get a life as the government More
Jammu, Nov 22: A group of 20 students from the Bandipore district, back from their visit to various places of historical and cultural importance in South India, met Governor, N N Vohra, here today and More
- South Asia
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Islamabad, Nov 22: Pakistan's ambassador to the US Husain Haqqani was today forced out of office over his suspected role in a secret memo seeking American help to prevent a possible coup in Pakistan, which More