Tremor jolts Kashmir
Srinagar, Nov 7: A moderate earthquake jolted the Kashmir Valley Monday evening even as the people were busy with Eid celebrations. No loss of life or property was reported.
"A moderate intensity quake hit the Valley at 5.29 p.m. this evening. The quake measured 6.0 on the Richter scale with coordinates 36.6 degrees north and 71.1 degrees east.
"The epicentre of the quake was in the Hindukush mountains of Afghanistan," officials said.
"I noticed the ceiling fan swinging and this alerted me. I ran out with children into the lawn," said a local.
People in summer capital Srinagar and other parts of the Valley were busy with Eid celebrations and animal sacrifices when the tremor occurred.
A major quake occurred in Kashmir in 2005 in which nearly 80,000 people were killed in both Kashmirs.
Lastupdate on : Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Mon, 7 Nov 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Tue, 8 Nov 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM FRONTPAGE
- Kashmir celebrates Eid-ul-Azha
- Omar, Farooq offer Eid prayers at Hazratbal
- Geelani not allowed to offer Eid prayers: Hurriyat (G)
- Resolve K-issue: Mirwaiz to India, Pak
- India, Pakistani soldiers exchange sweets on Eid
- Avalanche kills 3 soldiers in north Kashmir
- Tremor jolts Kashmir
- Militant makes abortive bid to shoot cop: Police
- India playing great game in Afghanistan: Musharraf