Geelaniís brother passes away
Released from house arrest, police condole demise
Srinagar, Nov 8: Chairman of Hurriyat Conference (G) Syed Ali Shah Geelani was today released from house arrest to allow him to take part in the funeral of his younger brother, who died after a prolonged illness here.
Geelani, who was under house arrest for last several days, was allowed to move outside his house and visit his ancestral village in north Kashmir's Sopore town after his brother Wali Muhammad Shah Geelani passed away at a hospital here last night.
"No cordon has been laid around his house and he is free to attend the funeral prayer of his brother or move elsewhere," a police spokesman said in a statement.
He said Geelani, who was prevented to offer Eid prayers yesterday, had met his ailing brother on November 3 at the hospital. ďWe express our heartfelt condolence to Geelani and his family on the sad demise of his brother,Ē he added.
Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz Akbar said Geelani's younger brother was suffering from liver ailment and was undergoing treatment at Soura Medical Institute.
"Geelani led the funeral prayers at Dooru village after police lifted the cordon around his house," the spokesman said.
Lastupdate on : Tue, 8 Nov 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 8 Nov 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 9 Nov 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM FRONTPAGE
- Ahead of SAARC summit Indo- Pak foreign secretaries meet
- Durbar to reopen in Jammu today
- Kashmir braces for rain, snow
- Lift AFSPA from NE, Kashmir: Churches' body to Govt
- Omar, Farooq to campaign for Congress in UP
- Geelaniís brother passes away
- SC pulls up Swami Agnivesh for his comments on Amarnath
- Non-planning responsible for JK's housing mess
- Dalai Lama to visit Jammu
- Presidentís Jammu visit rescheduled
- Syed Ashiq Bukhari bereaved