Gunfight rages in Keran sector
Srinagar, Sep 30: A gun battle broke out between militants and soldiers near Line of Control (LoC) in Keran sector in frontier district of Kupwara on Friday.
Army said the gunfight which commenced this morning was on when reports last came in.
“The fight started around 6 am. Since then it’s going on,” Army’s Srinagar based spokesman said.
He claimed that it was a fresh infiltration bid.
Meanwhile, reports said that the gun battle between militants and army in forests of north Kashmir's Kupwara district, which had left five militants and four security personnel dead, entered into fifth day.
“There has been fresh exchange of firing between the two sides in the wee hours," army said.
On Thursday army had retrieved the bodies of five militants killed in the gunfight at encounter broke out at Awathkul in Shamsabari forest area of Kralapora in Kupwara district.
Lastupdate on : Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Fri, 30 Sep 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sat, 1 Oct 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Participants seek demilitarization; revocation of AFSPA, PSA
- Recommendations on DAA yet to be finalized: Govt
- Gunfight rages in Keran sector
- Omar apologizes for disclosing identity of rape victims
- Define our powers, privileges: Lawmakers to Govt
- Yasin Malik, supporters held
- No locals in militant ranks: IG CRPF
- Rationalization of staff in govt hospitals in offing: Health Minister
- 277 B-Grade specialists’ posts referred to PSC: Javed
- Withdraw Disturbed Areas Act: Tarigami
- Gul inspects proposed site for new campus of Nawa Kadal college
- Altaf inaugurates Forest nursery at Kralsangri
- MLAs raise uproar in Assembly at New Delhi’s behest: Mir
- NC, PDP deceiving people: JKSM
- Hurriyat (G) threatens protests against Geelani’s house arrest
- 25,957 kanals of land under possession of forces in Kashmir: Govt
- Govt opposes amendment to RTI Act
- Work on Achabal-Chattapal road suspended: Sagar
- EEO in Wakoora block on cards: Peerzada
- LC passes amendment Bill, rejects 5
- Govt willing to include Gurez in Wullar-Mansbal Tourism Authority
‘WE SALUTE SACRIFICES OF KASHMIRI WOMEN’
INTRA-KASHMIR WOMEN’S CONFERENCE
UMER MAQBOOL Srinagar, Sep 30: The participants of Intra-Kashmir Women’s Conference on Friday demanded phased demilitarization and revocation of “draconian” laws in Jammu and Kashmir. In a chat with More
- Srinagar City
Srinagar, Sep 30: Director General of Police (DGP), Kuldeep Khoda Friday said that “all arrangements for 19th Police-Public Mela, being held at Bakshi Stadium, Srinagar have been finalized and the Mela More
- South Asia
INDO ASIAN NEWS SERVICE
Islamabad, Sep 30: Pakistan's fiscal deficit during 2010-11 stood at a mind-boggling Rs.1.3 trillion, official data shows. The finance ministry's consolidated fiscal data reveals that after inclusion More
New York, Sep 30: Equating the Kashmir issue with the Palestinian cause, Pakistan Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar has claimed that lasting peace in South Asia cannot be achieved without a "just and More