Civil society holds demonstration
ATTACK ON PRASHANT BHUSHAN
Srinagar, Oct 13: To show solidarity with noted Supreme Court lawyer, Prashant Bhushan, scores of civil society activists organized peaceful demonstration here on Thursday, condemning the attack on him.
The protestors were demanding stringent action against the attackers and were chanting slogans in favour of Bhushan. “Attack on Bhushan is attack on freedom of expression,” said Shahnawaz Mir, one of the protestor.
Condemning the act, MLA Langate, Engineer Abdul Rashid, said, “If such a person, who is a noted lawyer and champion of human rights in India, is beaten for speaking the truth, what can we expect if somebody from Kashmir utters similar words. He urged upon civil society to condemn this inhuman act and urged upon government of India to treat this matter seriously and bring the culprits to book.
Blaming fundamentalists for the attack, J&K RTI Movement convener, Dr Raja Muzaffar Bhat demanded thorough investigation into the incident. “Those people who have attacked Prashant have actually attacked Indian democracy and the Constitution of India which gives everybody the freedom of expression and speech.”
Human Rights activist and Coordinator ANHAD (NGO), Tanveer Hussain Khan appealed Indian civil society to come forward in support of Bhushan so that people involved in this in human act are exposed.
Among others who spoke at the protest rally included Syed Nassarullah Shah from Pensioners Association, Advocate Nadeem Qadri, Dr Shanti Singh, Raja Muhammad Ameen and Shahnawaz from Centre for Social Justice.
Lastupdate on : Thu, 13 Oct 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Fri, 14 Oct 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Interlocutors’ report has vindicated separatists: G N Ratanpuri
- NGO ‘Peace Foundation’ members assault GK Reporter
- Geelani for shutdown on Oct 27
- Yusuf shared podium with Rahul Gandhi: Mehbooba
- Civil society holds demonstration
- Mehbooba denounces
- SEPARATISTS CONDEMN
- HC reserves decision in PSC assistant surgeons case
- Kishtwar family alleges victimization ‘NIA implicating Wasim’
- National workshop on Himalayan resources concludes
- B Ed students hold protest
- Dearth of computers in Funds office
- CTA delegation meets Tanveer Jehan
- CS for strategy to rehabilitate turmoil hit
- Matric examination begins in Valley
- HC asks SDA to initiate action
- Free legal aid is great social service: CJ
- Sham launches prestigious RSBY scheme
- 8 militants in Ganderbal: Army
- Noor Muhammad of Barbarshah passes away
Mainstream, separatists should join hands for prosperity of state: Beg
Islamabad (Anantnag), Oct 13: Expressing displeasure over the report submitted by New Delhi-appointed interlocutors, senior National Conference leader and parliamentarian, Ghulam Nabi Ratanpuri, today More
- Srinagar City
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Oct 13: Flagging off a rally on International Disaster Reduction Day, Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir Abdul Majid Mir stressed for starting of disaster preparedness programs at “each and every More
GK SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT
Jammu, Oct 13: In case internal emergency is clamped on the country anytime in the future it will not cause as much scare among people, political leaders and bureaucrats, including those in the police More