Do you know the 10 alarming facts about Osteoporosis?
1. 75% of women in Kashmir have Vitamin D deficiency.
2. 80%-90% of household women have Vitamin D deficiency in Kashmir.
3. 1 among 3 persons in Kashmir will have significant osteoporosis by 65th birthday.
4. An osteoporotic fracture occurs every 3 seconds.
5. At 50, one in 3 women, and one in 5 men will suffer a fracture in their remaining lifetime.
6. 50% of people with one osteoporotic fracture will have another.
7. Osteoporosis will emerge as the biggest problem in the geriatric age.
8. If left unaddressed very soon we will have common problems of immobilization of people, most of them chair bound and couch bound.
9. Vitamin D deficiency disease has come back to haunt us.
10. 20% of those who suffer a hip fracture die within 6 months after the fracture due to osteoporosis.
Lastupdate on : Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Wed, 19 Oct 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Thu, 20 Oct 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM GK MAGAZINE
Srinagar, Oct 19: The Jammu and Kashmir has around 1200 sufferers of blood clotting disorder haemophilia but due to lack of diagnostic facilities, only 223 of them are getting the treatment in hospitals More
- Srinagar City
Residents, traders, politicians aghast; government silent
SYED IMRAN ALI HAMDANI
Srinagar, Oct 19: As students are appearing in exams, the densely populated old City is facing “worst of the power trouble” this year even as the winter is yet to arrive and Durbar is still in the More
Srinagar/Ramban, Oct 19: Six persons including two women were killed and 13 others wounded in separate road accidents across the Jammu and Kashmir. Two women were killed and seven persons, including More
- South Asia
Islamabad, Oct 19: Pakistan's army chief told parliament's defence committee that the United States should focus on stabilising Afghanistan instead of pushing Pakistan to attack militant groups in a crucial More
London, Oct 19: Social network sites may be changing people's brains as well as their social life, research suggests. Brain scans show a direct link between the number of Facebook friends a person More