Kabul attack ends after 20 hrs
Kabul, Sep 14: The 20-hour insurgent assault on the heavily guarded Afghan capital left 27 dead including police, civilians and attackers when fighting finally ended today, officials said.
Eleven Afghan civilians were killed, more than half of them children, said US Marine Corps Gen John Allen. Five Afghan police officers also died, he said.
A total of 11 insurgents were also killed in the fighting, seven of them as NATO and Afghan forces launched an operation to clear the attackers out of a half-built concrete high-rise near the US Embassy and a NATO compound where they were holed up for the assault.
Four other attackers served as suicide bombers in what was a coordinated attack in several areas of Kabul.
The fighting around the high-rise at the Abdul Haq traffic circle finally ended about 9:30 am after a night of roaring helicopters, gunshots and tracers streaking through the sky.
The Afghan Interior Ministry announced that the final holdouts in the 12-story concrete building had been killed and police officers could be seen clapping their hands in celebration on the roof of the building.
It was the longest and most audacious militant attack on the Afghan capital in the decade since the Taliban were ousted from power and a stark reminder of the insurgents’ strength and reach as Western forces start to return home.
At least 11 civilians were killed, three of them children, and there may be unexploded artillery fired by the insurgents in parts of the city, NATO-led foreign forces said.
The Ministry of the Interior said that four policemen were killed and the Afghan security force toll was expected to rise. Around two dozen people were wounded.
The insurgents had holed up in a multi-storey building still under construction and launched their attack early on Tuesday afternoon, firing rockets towards the US and other embassies and the headquarters of NATO-led foreign forces.
Three suicide bombers also targeted police buildings in other parts of the city, but the embassy district assault was the most spectacular.
Afghan security forces backed by NATO and Afghan attack helicopters fought floor-by-floor in the 13-storey building, which the insurgents appeared to have booby trapped. One or two fighters held out overnight.
“The operation has just ended and six terrorists were killed by police,” Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi said on Twitter around 20 hours after the first explosions.
The six insurgents were armed with rocket-propelled grenade launchers, AK-47 assault rifles and suicide bomb vests, a Taliban spokesman said, but the amount of time they held out prompted speculation they had hidden weapons and ammunition in the building before the attack.
“There was almost certainly either a breakdown in security among the Afghans with responsibility for Kabul or an intelligence failure,” said Andrew Exum, fellow at the Center for a New American Security.
Explosions were interspersed with gunfire all afternoon on Tuesday and several rockets landed in the upmarket Wazir Akbar Khan district, near the British and other embassies. One hit a school bus but it appeared to have been empty at the time.
Gunfire continued throughout the night, with residents of soviet apartment blocks near the insurgent hold-out staying indoors with their lights off, as children cried and helicopters flew low overhead.
“It would go silent for 30 to 35 minutes and then there were explosions and the sound of heavy machine guns,” one Reuters witness said.
Embassies and restaurants frequented by foreigners were on lock-down all evening. The US and British embassies and the NATO-led coalition said all their employees were safe.
Violence is at its worst since U.S.-backed Afghan forces toppled the Taliban government in late 2001, with high levels of foreign troop deaths and record civilian casualties.
The assault was the second big attack in the city in less than a month after suicide bombers targeted the British Council headquarters in mid-August, killing nine people.
In late June, insurgents launched an assault on a hotel in the capital frequented by Westerners, killing at least 10.
A US Senate panel has approved a $1.6 billion cut in projected US funding for Afghan security forces, part of a significant reduction in outlays for training and equipping Afghan army and police expected in the coming years.
Lastupdate on : Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM SOUTH ASIA
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Sep 14: Chairman of Hurriyat Conference (M) Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Wednesday said that Kashmiris won’t accept status-quo. Addressing a seminar on the sidelines of 18th session of United More
- Srinagar City
GK CITY CORRESPONDENT
Srinagar, Sept 14: How deadly is the speed of tippers plying in the City at night? Well, while the examples could be many, in the latest a loaded tipper was driving down the Airport Road so fast More
DELHI BLAST FALLOUT
Jammu/New Delhi, Sep 14: Jammu and Kashmir Police have formally booked two teenagers for sending much publicized email, claiming responsibility of Delhi High Court blast, which left around 13 persons dead More
- South Asia
Kabul, Sep 14: The 20-hour insurgent assault on the heavily guarded Afghan capital left 27 dead including police, civilians and attackers when fighting finally ended today, officials said. Eleven More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Washington, Sep 14: Recent developments have shown that militant Hindu nationalist groups are determined to launch domestic terrorist attacks in India, a US Congressional report has said. “Even More