Delhi gang-rape victim flown to Singapore


Singapore, Dec 27: The 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim, who was flown in an air ambulance from India early this morning, was in an extremely critical condition at the super specialty Mount Elizabeth Hospital here.
 A bulletin issued this evening by the hospital said: "As at 7pm (4.30pm IST) the patient remains in an extremely critical condition. She is under treatment at Mount Elizabeth Hospital's Intensive Care Unit."
 "A multi-disciplinary team of specialists is taking care of her and doing everything possible to stabilise her condition," said Dr Kelvin Loh, Chief Executive Officer of the Mount Elizabeth Hospital.
 The 373-bed multi-organ transplant specialty hospital was established in 1973. One of the leading hospitals in Asia, it is known for kidney and heart transplants and receives patients from across the globe because of its state-of-the-art facilities for highly-complicated surgeries.
 The young woman, who was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in a moving bus on December 16, withstood the six-hour flight from Delhi from where she was brought in an air ambulance this morning.
 She underwent three surgeries at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi, where she remained on ventilator support during most part of the treatment. Doctors removed major part of her intestines which had become gangrenous.
 Earlier, the Indian High Commission in Singapore said that the plane carrying the girl landed at the Changi International Airport here at 7.30am (5am IST). She was accompanied by her parents and a team of doctors.
 The decision to shift the girl was taken at the highest level of the Indian government, which has declared that it will bear all the expenses of her treatment.
 The hospital and the High Commission have requested complete privacy for the patient, the parents and the doctors treating the victim.
 The Indian mission has also assigned a liaison officer to the girl's parents.
 The parents are accommodated in a hotel with 24-hour attachment of a liaison officer, a High Commission official told PTI.
 In New Delhi, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the government would spare no effort for the treatment of the victim and it would meet all the costs for her treatment.
 "We are all aware of the critical condition of victim. Since the day of the incident, it has been our endeavour to provide her the best of medical care. Despite the best efforts of our doctors, the victim continues to be critical and her fluctuating health remains a big cause of concern to all of us," he said in a statement.

Lastupdate on : Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Thu, 27 Dec 2012 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Fri, 28 Dec 2012 00:00:00 IST

  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • TwitThis
  • Mixx
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • NewsVine
  • Reddit
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • YahooMyWeb
  • Print News

Enter the Security code exactly as you see it in the image security code is CaSe SeNsItIvE(Cookies must be enabled)

  • Kashmir

‘2012 most peaceful year since eruption of militancy’

Police data reveals zero incidents of violence in five Valley districts


Srinagar, Dec 27: Steep decline in militancy-related incidents in the Valley continued through 2012, bringing the killings to all time low. Interestingly, five districts of the Valley did not record a More

  • Srinagar City

Choked drains at Naveedabad irk inhabitants, authorities mute

‘Drainage mess has affected our social relationships’


Srinagar, Dec 27: Despite spending crores of rupees on construction of drainage system in Srinagar, most of the drains in many localities here are choked in absence of regular cleaning.  Inhabitants More

  • South Asia

Bilawal makes formal entry into Pak politics


Islamabad, Dec 27:  Slain former premier Benazir Bhutto's 24-year-old son Bilawal Bhutto Zardari today made his formal entry into Pakistani politics, pledging to protect his country and its fledgling More

Designed Developed and Maintaned By Imobisoft Ltd /Algosol Software Solutions