Girl’s death triggers protest
Kupwara, Feb17: Death of a girl under mysterious circumstances triggered protests at Lolab in this frontier district on Friday.
The Block Medical Officer Sogam, Dr Iqbal, while talking to Greater Kashmir said, “Amira Bano, 19, daughter of Masood Ahmad Shah of Shat Muqam Lolab was brought dead to Sub district hospital Sogam this morning. We conducted the postmortem and send the samples to Forensic lab. We cannot draw any conclusions till FSL sends its report.”
As the word about the incident spread in the area people took to the streets and staged a sit-in at Wavoora. Protesters kept the body of the girl in middle of the road and refused to bury it. They blocked Kupwara-Sogam and Kupwara- Khurhama roads for hours together.
Deputy Commissioner Kupwara along with other civil and police officers rushed to the spot and pacified the protestors and assured them that matter would be probed.
After the assurances from officials protestors dispersed and laid the deceased to rest.
The Deputy Inspector General (DIG), Muneer Khan told Greater Kashmir that police have registered a case and investigations are on.
Lastupdate on : Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Fri, 17 Feb 2012 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sat, 18 Feb 2012 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- Police withdraw direction to recharge vendors
- Inquiry officer serves notice to Army
- Girl’s death triggers protest
- HCBA nominates 12 members to executive committee
- JKSM for unity among pro-freedom parties
- 3 injured in road mishap
- JKCTA delegation calls on Finance Minister
- ‘Put Trehgam on tourism map’
- Asra Shafi murder still a mystery
- Kupwara bus stand in decrepit condition
- HC seeks details about amount recovered
- Deposit scanned copies of receipts: Police to aspirants
- Panchayat Inspectors allege discrimination
- Milad procession held at Alesteng
- Power shutdown on Feb 18, 19
Asks cellular companies to provide records centrally
Srinagar, Feb 17: After facing wide spread criticism from recharge vendors and customers, JK Police on Friday decided to withdraw its direction asking recharge vendors for proper verification of mobile More
- Srinagar City
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Feb 17: The opposition Peoples Democratic Party yet again Friday lashed the ruling National Conference for abandoning some of the prestigious projects for City development started during the More
Congress Wants Sheikh-Indira Accord To Be Focal Point Of Discussion
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Feb 17: The crucial meeting of a Cabinet Sub-Committee - constituted by the state government to deliberate upon the recommendations of Justice Sagheer-led Working Group on Centre-State relations More