23 injured in bus accident
Bandipora, Jan 10: At least 23 persons were injured when a passenger bus skid off a slippery road in Bandipora district today.
The bus, on its way to Srinagar from Bandipora, met with the accident at Safapora. Five of the injured passengers have been referred to SKIMS in critical condition.
"Twenty-three passengers were injured in the accident. Five of them have sustained serious injuries and have been brought to Srinagar for specialized treatment," said Block Medical Officer Bashir Ahmad Malik. “Condition of one of the injured, Shameema Khawaja, is stated to be critical,” he said.
Slippery road condition is believed to be the cause of the accident, officials said.
The roads across Kashmir valley have turned slippery due to sub-zero temperatures and snowfall over the weekend.
"Extreme cold weather has resulted in a thin film of ice on roads which makes driving risky, especially in the mornings," said the police officer.
Meanwhile locals protested against the “inability” of the authorities to clear the roads. “Government has the money to decorate roads on VIP visits but they have no money to spray salt on roads to melt ice so that accidents don’t happen,” said Ali Muhammad Khan of Safapora.
The locals hailed the efforts of the doctors and staff at sub-district hospital Sumbal for their timely action that saved several lives.
Lastupdate on : Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- 23 injured in bus accident
- Monitor functioning of GMC hospitals: Chib
- Budgam residents seek power restoration
- Settlement work completed in 231 Pulwama villages
- Pvt schools deny vacation to students: Parents
- DDC Bandipora reviews works
- Migratory birds killed in Dal Lake
- Expecting mother dies at Tral
- Prices of essential items sky-rocket in Valley
- Army provides assistance to people in Valley
- Make food grains available to people: DDC Bla to CAPD
- GDC Tral students clear snow in upper reaches
- Matric candidate alleges injustice
- NSS programme officers meet at KU
- Kupwara’s remote areas still cut-off
- Thieves on prowl in Kupwara
Bandipora, Jan 10: At least 23 persons were injured when a passenger bus skid off a slippery road in Bandipora district today. The bus, on its way to Srinagar from Bandipora, met with the accident More
- Srinagar City
Money diverted to fictitious savings; Accused clerks, SafaiKaramcharies have millions in their bank accounts
Srinagar, Jan 10: A scam worth crores of rupees has been unearthed in the Srinagar Municipal Corporation (SMC) involving many of its employees for allegedly diverting financial benefits of their colleagues More
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Jan 10: J&K State Overseas Employment Corporation Ltd (JKSOEC) opened its office in New Delhi on Tuesday, an official spokesman said. He said the Corporation set up by the More
- South Asia