300 fall ill after consuming Wazwan
Islamabad (Anantnag), July 2: More than 300 people, from a village in Dooru area, were admitted in District Hospital Islamabad (Ananatnag) after they consumed Wazwan at a marriage party.
They complained of vomiting and dysentery soon after they finished the meals at a marriage function in Dehrun village here in south Kashmir.
The doctors attending the patients said that they had treated about 350 patients, who had fallen ill due to food poisoning, and their condition was stable. “Due to the huge inflow of patients, a team of doctors from other nearby hospitals was rushed in,” said a doctor.
He said that as the hospital could not cope up with the heavy rush of patients due to the lack of sufficient accommodation. “We were forced to erect tents in the premises and the patients were treated there,” he added.
Attendants also complained of dearth of staff and lack of accommodation in the hospital.
“There are not enough beds and the patients are forced to stay outdoors in the tents erected by the hospital administration. It’s chaotic here right now. The hospital is not equipped to deal with such situations; however to save face they are referring nobody,” said an attendant.
They also complained of shortage of medicine including dextrose. “In a situation like this the hospital administration should be ready. In these testing times our health care gets exposed,” said a doctor adding that this is the oldest referral hospital of the valley.
Medical Superintendent (MS) of the District hospital said. “Villagers had consumed food at a marriage party and fell ill immediately. We have treated around 350 patients and more people areexpected to pour in,” he said, adding that the condition of all the patients is stable and some of them have already been discharged.
Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner Islamabad, Farooq Ahmad Shah visited the hospital and took stock of the situation.
Lastupdate on : Mon, 2 Jul 2012 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Tue, 3 Jul 2012 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- PDP hoodwinking people: Rana
- Shabir Shah, Nayeem Khan visit Dastgeer Sahab (RA) shrine
- 300 fall ill after consuming Wazwan
- Guv visits Pir Ki Gali, Hirpora Wildlife Sanctuary
- 2 bodies recovered after 5 months
- SHRC seeks report from DGP, DDC
- Avoid junk food: Medicos to people
- Baramulla’s media department short of equipment, multimedia lab
- Student politics need of the hour: National Conference
- US-based Kashmiri lawyer files PIL in High Court
- New Delhi’s K-policy based on repression: Inqilabi
- Urges people to avail benefits of welfare schemes
- Soz visits Kupwara areas
- 30 structures demolished for highway expansion
- Div Com issues PSA warrants
- Court directs action against friend of accused
- Make talks meaningful exercise: JAH to Indo-Pak FS
- ‘House, shop sealed in Nowhatta’
- We don’t operate outside JK: LeT
- CET 2nd rank holder aims at IAS
- Kupwara shuts against bad road conditions
Wachi (Shopian) July 2: Political Advisor to the Chief Minister Devender Singh Rana on Monday alleged that the People’s Democratic Party has always hoodwinked the people by raising hollow slogans More
- Srinagar City
Prominent animal rights activist and senior parliamentarian says she’s in Srinagar to protect human lives not dogs
SHE comes from country’s prominent Nehru-Gandhi political clan. She is Member Parliament for the seventh time. She happens to be third senior most Parliamentarian and has remained minister in four governments More
- For Contributors