SHRC seeks report from DGP, DDC
Srinagar, July 2: Jammu and Kashmir State Human Rights Commission has sought preliminary reports from Director General of Police and Deputy Development Commissioner Srinagar in the killing of 50 persons on January 21, 1990 in Gaw Kadal here.
The two-bench Commission of SHRC comprising Javid Kawoos and Rafiq Fida vide No (SHRC/Comp/2012/112/1043 Dated 11-05-2012) has sought reports of the Gaw Kadal killings following a petition filed by International Forum for Justice. “The DC shall further inform the Commission whether any compensatory relief stands already sanctioned in favor of the Next of Kin (NoKs). The case is listed in the next Division Bench on 02-07-2012,” the SHRC notification reads.
International Forum for Justice and Human Rights Forum J&K had filed the petition against J&K State through Commissioner/Secretary Home, Director General of Police J&K, Superintendent of Police East, Station House Officer Kralkhud, Alla Bakash (then DSP Kothibagh) and DIG CRPF Kashmir Range.
The petitioners had sought from SHRC a constitution of team for investigation of the massacre which took place on January 21, 1990 at Gaw Kadal Srinagar.
“On 21st January 1990 a peaceful demonstration against the atrocities committed by the CRPF was going on near Gaw Kadal Srinagar,” the petition reads.
“When the procession reached Gaw Kadal, the then DSP Kothibagh Alla Bakash along with his team lead by CRPF personnel fired indiscriminately on the demonstrators in which 50 persons were killed on the spot and 250 got injured,” reads the petition.
“The CRPF men and police had deliberately fired on the peaceful protestors in the head and chest with the intention to kill them all. The whole incident was planned by then DSP Alla Bakash thereby creating first incident of human rights violation,” the petition reads.
The petitioners through their petition accused Government for not conducting an investigation into the matter. “Although the concerned authorities have lodged an FIR in Police Station Kral Khud under No 3/90 – which says only 21 persons were killed, the person involved in the killing of 50 persons are roaming freely including the principal perpetrator Alla Bakash who was in turn awarded promotions and doles,” the petition alleged.
Lastupdate on : Mon, 2 Jul 2012 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Tue, 3 Jul 2012 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- PDP hoodwinking people: Rana
- Shabir Shah, Nayeem Khan visit Dastgeer Sahab (RA) shrine
- 300 fall ill after consuming Wazwan
- Guv visits Pir Ki Gali, Hirpora Wildlife Sanctuary
- 2 bodies recovered after 5 months
- SHRC seeks report from DGP, DDC
- Avoid junk food: Medicos to people
- Baramulla’s media department short of equipment, multimedia lab
- Student politics need of the hour: National Conference
- US-based Kashmiri lawyer files PIL in High Court
- New Delhi’s K-policy based on repression: Inqilabi
- Urges people to avail benefits of welfare schemes
- Soz visits Kupwara areas
- 30 structures demolished for highway expansion
- Div Com issues PSA warrants
- Court directs action against friend of accused
- Make talks meaningful exercise: JAH to Indo-Pak FS
- ‘House, shop sealed in Nowhatta’
- We don’t operate outside JK: LeT
- CET 2nd rank holder aims at IAS
- Kupwara shuts against bad road conditions
Wachi (Shopian) July 2: Political Advisor to the Chief Minister Devender Singh Rana on Monday alleged that the People’s Democratic Party has always hoodwinked the people by raising hollow slogans More
- Srinagar City
Prominent animal rights activist and senior parliamentarian says she’s in Srinagar to protect human lives not dogs
SHE comes from country’s prominent Nehru-Gandhi political clan. She is Member Parliament for the seventh time. She happens to be third senior most Parliamentarian and has remained minister in four governments More
- For Contributors