Chairman Advisory Board on PSA given 3 extensions
‘Extensions in violation of rules’
Jammu, Mar 20: In a shocking revelation the State Government today admitted that it has given three extensions to the Chairman, Jammu Kashmir Public Safety Act Advisory Board (JKPSAAB), Justice (Retired) MLA Koul, who is 78 year old and is occupying the post from the last 12 years.
As per the information, the incumbent Justice ML Koul, who retired as judge of Haryana and Punjab High Court, was appointed as Chairman JKPSAAB in consultation with the Chief Justice of JK High Court vide SRO 406 dated 22-11-2000, for a period of five years. He has been given three extensions in subsequent years.
The first extension was given to vide Government order number Home (PB-V) 3016 of 2005 dated 2-12-2005, while his services were extended for another three years vide Government order number Home/PV-2422 of 2008 dated 23-12-2008.
The latest extension has been given to him vide order number Home/PB-V/2712 of 2008 dated 26-12-2011. The government vide this order accorded sanction to the continuation of Justice (R) Koulas Chairman JKPSAAB for a period of one year upto November 30, 2012.
The issue was raised by Peoples Democratic Party MLC, Murtaza Ahmad Khan during Question Hour in Legislative Council today. He claimed that there were 22 retired judges in the state who can take on the responsibility.
“What were the reasons that one person is continuously given extensions arbitrarily in blatant violation of rules,” averred Khan. He also referred to the rules and procedure of appointing Chairman and the members of the Board.
Leader of the House RS Chib, while replying the query, claimed that no rule had been flouted while extending the services of the Board Chairman. “It is the prerogative of the State Government to appoint or to give extensions to Chairman or the members of JKPSAAB,” he claimed.
About method and manner of appointment of the Chairman the Advisory Board under Public Safety Act, 1978, Chib said, “Section 14 of J&K Public Safety Act, 1978, envisages that the Government shall, whenever necessary, constitute an Advisory Board for the purpose of this Act and the Board shall consist of a Chairman, who is or has been a Judge of the High Court. The Chairman and the members of the Board shall be appointed by the State Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court.
It is pertinent to mention here that JKPSAAB was constituted vide SRO number 449 in 1989.
Lastupdate on : Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 21 Mar 2012 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM JAMMU
- Dr Fayaz Shawl tenders unconditional apology to MoS Home
- Opposition, coalition members corner Govt
- 3 soldiers killed, 2 injured
- Guv,CM greet people on Nauroz eve
- 6 Valley districts record sharp decline in gender ratio
- Regularisation process of DRWs in limbo
- LC adjourned for lack of Quorum
- Govt mulls to delete developed areas from backward villages' list
- Chairman Advisory Board on PSA given 3 extensions
- 14 services of Revenue deptt under ambit of PSGA: Bhalla
- Emergency medicare to be made available on Highway: Sham
- Bring Hindu Shrines Protection Bill in Assembly: Tarigami
- HC stays mining project in Trikuta Hills
- Police bust gang of burglars in Islamabad
- Speaker,Dy Speaker for assistance to windstorm victims
- 40 lakh patients treated in GMCs, associated hospitals: Chib
- ‘Enact legislation for maintenance of senior citizens’
- ‘4364 challans against motorists for using cellphones’
Budgam, Mar 20: The State Information Commissioner (SIC), Nazir Ahmed on Tuesday urged the RTI volunteers to ask for specific information which he said was for common good. He lauded the role of RTI volunteers More
- Srinagar City
Technology works little, faith does
WHAT started Monday afternoon as intermittent spells of cool breeze in the shadow of dark clouds, by night swell into an unbelievable storm sounding typical of some sequence from horror movie. Shooo! Shooo More
Opposition Flared Up Issue Without Any Strong Evidences: Nasir
GK NEWS NETWORK
Jammu, Mar 20: Minister of State for Home and Urban Development Nasir Aslam Wani on Tuesday expressed happiness over the unconditional apology tendered by Dr Fayaz Ahmad Shawl, who had levelled allegations More
- South Asia