Chadoora farmers demand desilting of Marvel irrigation canal
R M BHAT
Chadoora (Budgam), May 20: Scores of farmers on Sunday staged a protest against the Irrigation Department for “not undertaking desilting work” on 7 kilometer Marvel Irrigation canal which is the main source of irrigation for almost 1000 hectares of agricultural land in this central Kashmir area.
Farmers from Wathoora, Sheikhpora , Dooniwari and its adjoining assembled at Wathoora and staged a sit-in. “The paddy saplings season has almost approached and the Marvel Irrigation canal is full of silt and other sorts of weeds. Heavy breach in the canal has occurred near Manishah Sahib area and the Irrigation department is not at all bothered to undertake desilting work” protesters said.
“We have brought this matter into the notice of district administration on many occasions but till date nothing has been done to initiate the work,” they added.
When contacted District Development Commissioner Budgam Khursheed Ahmad Shah said that he would call the concerned Executive Engineer and ensure the work begins as soon as possible in the area.
Pertinently, water for irrigation purpose is lifted from Jehlum river at Marvel village in Pampore area of Pulwama which is then supplied to nearly 30 villages of Pulwama and Budgam district particularly Chadoora area through a canal named after Marvel village.
Lastupdate on : Sun, 20 May 2012 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sun, 20 May 2012 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Mon, 21 May 2012 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- State Cong trying to portray Omar as murderer of infants: Kamaal
- Chairman BOSE disowns threat statement
- Self rule will liberate state from siege: Mufti
- Azad opposes transfer of Centaur Hotel to Govt
- Chadoora farmers demand desilting of Marvel irrigation canal
- NC pays tributes to Mirwaiz Moulana Farooq, Lone
- US embassy denies visa to Kashmiri scholar
- Expel Prof Bhat, demand Hurriyat (M) leaders
- Youth clash with police to protest Mirwaiz's house arrest
- Seminar runs into rough weather
- Prakash urges Cong workers to serve people
- NOW CHARGE YOUR CELL PHONE BY BODY HEAT!
- ANTI-CANNABIS DRIVE LAUNCHED IN PANDRETHAN
- Education Deptt fails to achieve targets in Baramulla
- LFB organises conference on Prof Nazki
- Pulwama village sans power
- ‘Army Major had approached police’
‘Azad can’t break the Govt as Centre is with us’
Srinagar, May 20: A day after Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad termed the tragic death of infants in Valley’s sole maternity hospital, G B Pant, as “shameful” and blamed State Government for More
- Srinagar City
Srinagar, May 20: For the past over two years, upper Soura – Ahmednagar road is in dilapidated condition causing much of inconvenience to the residents. “For two years now we are moving from pillar More
Jammu, May 20: Normal life in Jammu and its outskirts was paralysed as a dust storm hit the city on Sunday evening. "There was a dust storm and dazzle in the capital with winds travelling at a velocity More
- South Asia
Islamabad, May 20: Pakistan Sunday blocked micro-blogging website Twitter after it failed to take action on the publication of blasphemous content. The Nation daily said the Pakistan Telecommunication More
Rome, May 20: Panicked people rushed into the streets when a powerful earthquake struck northern Italy early today, killing three people and injuring at least two others, rescuers said.  More
- Education and Career
University Of Oxford Announces Rhodes ScholarshipThe University of Oxford announces Rhodes scholarship for Indian nationals. The Scholarship is initially for a period of two years but if necessary can More