Army officer charred to death
Bandipora, Nov 10: An Army officer of the rank of Lieutenant Colonel died when a fire broke out in a camp in Bandipora district. The incident occurred late last night at the Special Forces camp in the Sunerwani area.
“A colonel died in the fire which gutted a barrack in north Kashmir. A probe has revealed that the fire was triggered by an electrical short-circuit at around 2 a.m.,” Lieutenant Colonel JS Brar, spokesperson of Army’s Srinagar-based 15th Corps, told IANS.
Seven barracks comprising of 22 rooms in 9 Para Camp were destroyed in the fire. The killed officer has been identified as Lt. Colonel Saran Apte of Gujarat.
Officials said the other Army personnel in the camp are safe as the immediate arrival of fire tenders prevented the spread of blaze.
Higher officers of the Army including counter-insurgency Kilo Force Deputy GOC Sanjay Thapa and Brigadier 5 Sector G P Mathew visited the spot.
Lastupdate on : Sat, 10 Nov 2012 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sat, 10 Nov 2012 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sun, 11 Nov 2012 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM FRONTPAGE
- BUMPY RIDE FOR BELEAGUERED TAJ
- ‘DECISION ON HOUSE COMMITTEE’S FATE BY MONDAY’
- ‘PDP focusing on Jammu, losing ground in Valley’
- Coalition panel to meet on Monday
- Hurriyat (G) seminar foiled
- Government patronizing graft: Mufti
- 2010 unrest was futile: Sajjad Lone
- Indo-Pak dialogue revival on cards
- Army officer charred to death
SHABIR IBN YUSUF
Srinagar, Nov 10: Police on Friday night arrested a non-local person on the charges of attempting to torch a Masjid in Dastgeer Sahib (RA) Shrine in old city here. Police have a registered More
- Confirm Avtar Singh’s death by Dec 8: Court to IGP
- Azad calls on Sheikh Hasina, inaugurates int’l conference
- In search of loved ones, they assemble at Pratap Park on 10TH of every month
- Hurriyat (M) delegation leaves for New Delhi; Shah fumes
- Provide protection to Kashmiri students, traders outside JK: Hakeem Yasin to Centre, state govts
- Srinagar City
Khaki connections to be metered: PDD
FOLLOW - UP
GK CITY CORRESPONDENT
Srinagar, Dec 10: It is official now that police is resorting to power theft and this offence has been prevalent in the City at least. Taking serious note of the alleged power pilferage by cops and More
5 Cops Among 8 Injured In Collision
Ramban/Surankote, Nov 10: An army soldier was crushed to death on Saturday by a speeding truck on Srinagar-Jammu highway here, police said. Anil Kumar, a sepoy with 8 Rashtriya Rifles (RR), was hit More
- Court Watch
D A RASHID
Srinagar, Nov 10: Jammu and Kashmir High Court has directed principal district judge Srinagar to inquire into the disappearance of a man who was allegedly picked by Army from his residence at Dalgate More