Mubarak, sons to be retried over killing of protesters
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Cairo, Jan 13: An Egyptian court today accepted former president Hosni Mubarak's appeal against his life sentence and ordered his retrial and that of his sons over the killing of hundreds of pro-democracy protesters demanding his ouster in 2011.
Egypt's Court of Cassation or appellate court also accepted the appeals of all other defendants in the case -- Mubarak's top six aides and former interior minister Habeeb al Adly.
Consequently Mubarak, his two sons Ala and Gamaal, al Adly and his top security chiefs will all face a new trial.
Last June, Mubarak and al Adly were sentenced to a life in prison after being convicted for being responsible for the deaths of an estimated 800 protesters.
Six high-ranking security officials were acquitted in the same case, sparking nationwide outrage. The opponents of Mubarak had also termed his life sentence a lighter punishment.
"The court has ruled to accept the appeal filed by the defendants... And orders a retrial," Judge Ahmed Ali Abdel Rahman said reading out the ruling during the brief hearing today.
The ruling sparked cries of cheers from the supporters of the 84-year-old former president who ruled for nearly three decades before being overthrown in a mass uprising.
No date has been set for the retrial.
Yesterday, Mubarak was remanded for 15 days over gifts worth hundreds of thousands of US dollars he and other regime officials allegedly received from a leading newspaper.
At the request of prosecutors, Judge Abdel Rahman had overturned the acquittal of Mubarak, his sons and fugitive businessman Hussein Salem on corruption charges.
Mubarak is alleged to have appropriated 6 million Egyptian pounds in public funds, according to a report in Al Ahram newspaper. The Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights (EIPR) said the trial of Mubarak had been "disappointing" and asked the court to "avoid the mistakes" of the first trial.
Lastupdate on : Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sun, 13 Jan 2013 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Mon, 14 Jan 2013 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM WORLD
GK NEWS NETWORK
Srinagar, Jan 13: The Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front’s ‘Jail Bharo Programme’ concluded here on Sunday. About 50 persons—including Front leaders, relatives of incarcerated Kashmiris and relatives of More
- Srinagar City
Srinagar, Jan 13: Valley’s lone pediatric specialty, G.B. Pant Hospital has started free surfactant replacement therapy for newborn babies suffering with respiratory distress syndrome (RDS). Officials More
Jammu, Jan 13: Calling upon people to avail maximum assistance from different schemes launched by the government, Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand said that various central and state funded initiatives More
- South Asia
Urges India, Pakistan To Strengthen Peace Process
NISAR AHMED THOKAR
Islamabad, Jan 13: Voicing its concern over the recent skirmishes between Indian and Pakistani troops along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir, civil society representatives here Sunday said More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Cairo, Jan 13: An Egyptian court today accepted former president Hosni Mubarak's appeal against his life sentence and ordered his retrial and that of his sons over the killing of hundreds of pro-democracy More