Valley reels under darkness

Power Supply Goes Off With Few Inches Of Snow

UMER MAQBOOL

Srinagar, Jan 18: In the wake of fresh snowfall, the entire Kashmir valley was plunged into darkness since Thursday evening as the Power Development Department (PDD) once  again failed to manage the electricity supply. While the PDD maintained that 70 per cent electricity has been restored in the Valley, the ground situation however belied the claim as the majority of areas in the Valley continued to reel under darkness.
As soon as few inches of snow accumulated last evening, the electricity immediately went off forcing the Valleyities, including residents of Srinagar, to spend the entire night under darkness.
According to reports, the power supply to Srinagar areas including Khayam, Khonakhan Dalgate, Gagribal and Buchwara went off soon after the snowfall started. “Tourists putting up in hotels in these areas faced tremendous inconvenience in absence of electricity,” they said.
People accused the Power Development Department of once again failing to live up to their expectations.
In almost entire north Kashmir’s Baramulla district, which received mild to moderate snowfall, the power supply is yet to be restored. The residents of areas including Rafiabad, Chandoosa, Uri, Boniyar and Tangmarg Friday complained that the PDD is “not doing enough to restore power supply.”
Reports said electricity supply was restored to Sopore town at 5:30 pm on Friday. The situation is no different in neigbouring Bandipora district where electricity has not been restored for the past 24 hours in main town, Sumbal, Sonawari areas.
Several areas in central Kashmir districts of Ganderbal and Budgam are also reeling under darkness.
The power supply remained erratic in hundreds of villages in Pulwama, Kulgam, Islamabad (Anantnag) districts in south Kashmir following snowfall. Most of the hamlets of Dachnipora area of Bijbehara Tehsil continued to reel under darkness for two days. The situation was same in areas of Tral like Rathsuna, Lorigam, and Nowdal.
Talking to Greater Kashmir, Chief Engineer PDD Muhammad Muzaffar Mattoo said that electricity has been restored to 70 percent consumers in Kashmir. “We have restored power supply to entire Srinagar district and only few areas of the Valley are left behind,” Mattoo said, adding that “power supply would be restored to remaining 30 percent areas by Saturday evening.”
When contacted, Minister of State for Power, Viqar Rasool admitted that power supply was affected in several parts of Kashmir after fresh snowfall. He said the Department has pressed its entire machinery to restore the power supply, but “it may take time to restore electricity in some areas where damage to poles or wires has been maximum.”

Lastupdate on : Fri, 18 Jan 2013 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Fri, 18 Jan 2013 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Sat, 19 Jan 2013 00:00:00 IST




  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • TwitThis
  • Mixx
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • NewsVine
  • Reddit
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • YahooMyWeb
  • Print News

Enter the Security code exactly as you see it in the image security code is CaSe SeNsItIvE(Cookies must be enabled)
  • MORE FROM FRONTPAGE

  • Kashmir

Omar seeks financial assistance for Sarpanchs, Panchs

Writes To Jairam Ramesh

DAMAGE CONTROL?

ABID BASHIR

Srinagar, Jan 18: In a damage control exercise Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has shot a letter to Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh seeking release of Rs 100 crore for monthly honorarium More



  • Srinagar City

Directs for immediate restoration of essential services

DIV COM CONDUCTS CITY TOUR

Srinagar, Jan 18: Divisional Commissioner, Kashmir, Dr. Asgar Hassan Samoon today conducted an extensive tour of Srinagar city and took stock of situation arising due to snowfall. The Divisional Commissioner More




  • Jammu

Sagar hospitalized

Jammu, Jan 18: Minister for Rural Development and Parliamentary Affairs Ali Muhammad Sagar was hospitalized on Friday afternoon, after he complained of chest pain. Sources said that soon after Friday More



  • South Asia

Qadri summoned by Canadian authorities for asylum oath breach

PRESS TRUST OF INDIA

Islamabad, Jan 18: Firebrand cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri, who led a massive protest against the government here, has been summoned by Canadian authorities to explain a violation of the oath he had taken while More



  • GKeducation&career

The menace of tuition centers

Why have tuition centers become centres of nuisance for local residents and female students?

CONCERN

IMRAN MUZAFFAR

In a 20×12 tin shed at Parraypora, a physics teacher is teaching complex equations to around 200 students crammed in one classroom. Outside the ‘classroom’, dozens of youngsters roam around, speeding away More



ADD
Designed Developed and Maintaned By Imobisoft Ltd /Algosol Software Solutions