SOLDIERS TOOK PART IN KARGIL CONFLICT: FORMER PAK GENERAL

PRESS TRUST OF INDIA

Islamabad, Jan 27: Lt Gen (retd) Shahid Aziz, then heading ISI's analysis wing, has said that there were no Mujahideen but only regular soldiers who took part in the 1999 war whose whole truth is yet to be known.
 The former officer also accused the then Pakistan Army chief General Pervez Musharraf of "cover up".
 "There were no mujahideen, only taped wireless messages, which fooled no one. Our soldiers were made to occupy barren ridges, with hand held weapons and ammunition," Lt Gen Aziz wrote in his article in The Nation daily early this month.
 Headlined, 'Putting our children in line of fire', the Pakistani official, who retired in 2005 as former corps commander of Lahore, wrote "The whole truth about Kargil is yet to be known. We await the stories of forgotten starved soldiers hiding behind cold desolate rocks, with empty guns still held in their hands...Such precious blood spilled without cause!"
 The Pakistani officer said whatever little he knew, took a while to emerge, "since General Musharraf had put a tight lid on Kargil".
 "Three years later, a study commenced by GHQ to identify issues of concern at the lowest levels of command, was forcefully stopped by him. 'What is your intent?' he asked. His cover-up was revealed many years later, on publication of his book," Aziz said.
 He said Kargil, an "unsound military plan" based on invalid assumptions, launched with little preparations and in total disregard to the regional and international environment, was bound to fail.
 "That may well have been the reason for its secrecy. It was a total disaster," he said and underlined that soldiers were sent as "war fodder".
 Pakistan has always maintained that Kargil was fought by mujahideens.
 Aziz said that the intrusion was clearly intended to dominate the supply line to Siachen and "force the Indians to pull out".
 Aziz wrote "It certainly wasn't a defensive manoeuvre. There were no indications of an Indian attack. We didn't pre-empt anything; nothing was on the cards. I was then heading the Analysis Wing of Inter Services Intelligence and it was my job to know," he wrote.
 "To say that occupying empty spaces along the Line of Control was not a violation of any agreement and came under the purview of the local commander is astounding. This area was with the Indians as  a result of Shimla Agreement, and there had been no major violation of the Line of Control since 1971".
 The Pakistani officer said assumptions were made that Indian Army would not be able to "dislodge us and the world would sit back idly".
 "The entire planning and execution was done in a cavalier manner, in total disregard of military convention. In justification, to say that our assessment was not wrong, but there was, 'unreasonably escalated Indian response' is a sorry excuse for not being able to assess Indian reaction," he said.
 He said the "boys" were comforted by their commander's assessment that no serious response would come.
 "But it did — wave after wave, supported by massive air bursting artillery and repeated air attacks.
 "The enemy still couldn't manage to capture the peaks, and instead filled in the valleys. Cut off and forsaken, our posts started collapsing one after the other, though the general publicly denied it," he said.
 He added, "We continue to indulge in bloody enterprises, under the hoax of safeguarding national interest. How many more medals will we put on coffins? How many more songs are we to sing? And how many more martyrs will our silences hide?
 "If there is purpose to war then yes, we shall all go to the battle front, but a war where truth has to be hidden, makes one wonder whose interest is it serving?"

Lastupdate on : Sun, 27 Jan 2013 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Mon, 28 Jan 2013 00:00:00 IST




  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • TwitThis
  • Mixx
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • NewsVine
  • Reddit
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • YahooMyWeb
  • Print News

Enter the Security code exactly as you see it in the image security code is CaSe SeNsItIvE(Cookies must be enabled)
  • MORE FROM SOUTH ASIA

  • Kashmir

Kupwara shuts to remember Jan 27, 1994 massacre victims

‘19 Yrs Ago On Jan 27, Soldiers Shot Dead 27 Civilians For Observing Strike On R-Day’

SHAHID RAFIQ

Kupwara, Jan 27: This frontier district observed a complete shutdown on Sunday to pay homage to 27 civilians killed on this day allegedly by Army for observing shutdown on January 26. The strike call was More



  • Srinagar City

Milad processions held

BRAVING COLD, THOUSANDS OF DEVOTEES PARTICIPATE IN NISHAT MARCH

SYED IMRAN ALI HAMDANI

Srinagar, Jan 27: Braving bone-chilling cold, thousands of devotees on Sunday participated in processions organized in connection with the Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi (SAW) celebrations. Main procession was More




  • Jammu

High-powered committee likely to submit report within week

Amendment in Panchayati Raj Act

AKSHAY AZAD

Jammu, Jan 27: A four-member committee looking into the suggestions for incorporating various provisions in the existing J&K Panchayati Raj Act, is likely to submit its report to the government within More



  • South Asia

'Pakistan National Assembly to be dissolved before March 16'

PRESS TRUST OF INDIA

Lahore, Jan 27: Pakistan's National Assembly will be dissolved before March 16 and the date for the next general election will be announced in the coming ten days, Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira More



  • World

Nightclub fire kills 245 in Brazil

Santa Maria (Brazil), Jan 27: At least 245 people died today when a fire tore through a nightclub packed with university students in the southern Brazilian city of Santa Maria, police said. The death toll More



ADD
Designed Developed and Maintaned By Imobisoft Ltd /Algosol Software Solutions