Kupwara massacre: SHRC to pronounce verdict in March
27 People Were Killed By Army Without Provocation: CID Report
Srinagar, Jan 28: The State Human Rights Commission Monday said it would decide the 1994-Kupwara massacre in which 27 people were killed and 36 injured in indiscriminate firing allegedly by Army on next hearing in March.
The rights panel had sought detailed report about the incident from the J&K police and Union Home Ministry on a petition seeking re-investigation into the case. It came up for hearing today.
A report by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) received by the Commission separately from the J&K police and the Union Ministry has indicted troopers of 31 Med Regiment for killing civilians "without any provocation".
“Troops deployed on duty in Kupwara town under the command of Second Lieutenant S Bakshi indiscriminately fired in Bus Stand, Kupwara, without any provocation and justification, with criminal intention," said the CID report. However, the report said only 18 bodies were recovered.
“Several correspondence were made with the concerned unit to provide nominal roll of officers/jawans deputed for ROP duty on January 27, 1994 but despite repeated requests no response was made by the concerned unit …finally the investigation of the case was closed as untraced on April 10, 1997, on the basis of non-cooperation of army authorities,” the report said.
The case was reopened in 2004 but the investigating agency again rued the non-cooperation from the Army.
Later the International Forum for Justice through its Chairman Muhammad Ahsaan Untoo and Human Rights Forum J&K approached the SHRC seeking reinvestigation into the case.
On the SHRC directions the Home Ministry had send reminder to the Union Defence Ministry twice last year to submit complete report on the incident.
The Home Ministry had sought extension from the J&K right panel for furnishing of the required details.
Member SHRC Javeed Kawoosa said the Commission has received the report sought from the Director General of Police (J&K) and Union home ministry. “The case has been listed for final hearing on March 11,” he said.
Lastupdate on : Mon, 28 Jan 2013 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Tue, 29 Jan 2013 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM KASHMIR
- GOVT ‘LENIENT’ IN SPORTS COUNCIL CASE
- Kupwara massacre: SHRC to pronounce verdict in March
- Kiran Bedi endorses Justice Verma Committee recommendations
- JKLF calls for shutdown on Feb 11
- IHSDP beneficiaries stage anti-Municipal Council protest
- Ranbir, Deepika brave sub-zero temperature, shoot in Gulmarg
- Bar report reveals pathetic condition of inmates in Jammu jails
- Youth’s electrocution triggers protest
- Girl abducted, victim’s uncle killed in clash
- Install transformers proportionate to population: Tarigami to PDD
- 6 burglars held, 11 cases solved: Police
- Provide copy of response to AAG in a week: HC to counsel
- Stable Pakistan indispensable for K-resolution: Geelani
- CRPF organizes free medical camp
- Srinagar City
Srinagar, Jan 28: The Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Shabir Ahmed Khan has exhorted upon the functionaries of Health department to work with devotion and dedication for bringing more More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Jammu, Jan 28: The family of prisoner Chamel Singh, who died in a Pakistani jail after he was reportedly beaten up by the prison staff, today requested the Central government to intervene in bringing his More
- South Asia
Dhaka, Jan 28: India and Bangladesh today signed a liberalised visa agreement and a landmark extradition treaty that could pave the way for the deportation of jailed ULFA 'general secretary' Anup Chetia More
PRESS TRUST OF INDIA
Cairo, Jan 28: Egypt's main opposition coalition today rejected as "waste of time" a call by Muhammed Mursi for a national dialogue to end a wave of unrest, a day after the embattled President declared More