Safety is Action
Before an earthquake hits think well of safe structures
ER. SHUJAAT HUSSAIN
It was frightening to see an earthquake with a magnitude of 5.7 on the Richter scale with epicenter in Baderwah area of J&K causing damage to innumerable houses and loss of some lives as well. The epicenter of the Earthquake is located on the Chenab valley along the confluence of major fault-lines of Panjal and Murree.
In this regard, the article written by Aamir Ali under title “Earthquake Save Yourself” on May 04, 2013 is worth appreciating. He is clear in explaining to the readers about what they must do during and after an earthquake. It is, however, worth realizing that when he touches the area of retrofitting and Earthquake Resistant Design, he puts the onus on the people to decide their own fate. One, it involves a little higher cost to construct the earthquake resistant structure. Second, it requires a building rule under municipal rules for such measures to be implemented on ground. I appreciate Amir Ali for his work on Disaster management but I do not see the real time focus in Disaster Mitigation, i.e. before earthquake safety. Besides, schools and institutional buildings are all constructed by either authorized agencies or registered firms or corporation or institutions or trusts. It should not be difficult to put them under the IS provisions required for earthquake resistant design.
Prevention is better than cure. In case of an earthquake, the life saved by preventing falling of walls, of ceilings and falling of objects needs priority. Recently, I saw a building that had an impressive architecture, beautiful interiors, but it had a giant column from ground to fourth floor in an RCC pipe at its entrance. What we should realize that:
1.Buildings are important for our existence. When we take a piece of land, we put masons to work, we buy the materials and we spend millions. But to see whether that spending is worth, we need to consult the design engineers. All that our building requires is not a beautiful look, but required strength as well.
2. Avoid construction of residential houses in marshy swamps, in agriculture land, on slopes, in wetlands and besides national highways.
3. Look for a firm soil, an even terrain and a non-congested space to construct the residential building.
4. Construct as per structural designers drawings and not just architects plan.
5. It is not important to construct as per old technique of “Dhajji-Dewari” and “Taaq” construction but modern techniques with good design are also sufficient. However, the maintenance of quality of workmanship and of materials needs to be screened by asking the designer to visit the construction site a few times.
Role of Authorities:
1. It is high time to frame the design control laws for residential buildings by the municipal authorities. All new constructions need approval from expert designers.
2. All old institutional buildings and new buildings after 2005 that have not been constructed as per earthquake design rules, need to be analysed for building resistance and accordingly retrofitted, restored or rehabilitated.
3. Srinagar city needs to be seismic micro-zoned and rehabilitation areas clearly ear-marked in earthquake master-plan.
4. 5% building cost that goes in retrofitting of weaker buildings needs to be provided as a housing loan or implemented under some centrally granted scheme.
The onus lies on us all to prevent ourselves for better earthquake safety. But schemed plan is a vital consideration in implementation of all major or minor execution details. Safety is not reaction but action.
Author is a Structural Engineer, and works as Assistant Professor, at IUST
Lastupdate on : Tue, 14 May 2013 21:30:00 Makkah time
Lastupdate on : Tue, 14 May 2013 18:30:00 GMT
Lastupdate on : Wed, 15 May 2013 00:00:00 IST
- MORE FROM GK MAGAZINE
Seeks Response From Government, Police
Srinagar, May 14: Observing that use of pellet guns by government forces was a serious threat to life, the State Human Rights Commission has issued notices to J&K Government and Director General of More
- JK awaits Home Ministry's nod for repartition of 11 Pak prisoners
- Mulberry films to adapt ‘The Collaborator’
- After Omar Abdullah, Mehbooba asks people to take cue from Pak voters
- Kunanposhpora: High Court says ‘not inclined to entertain PIL at this stage’
- Governor reviews Yatra arrangements at Base Camps
- Srinagar City
Srinagar, May 14: Spotting over a hundred stray dogs on prowl around could be scary and equally deadly, but this is a routine for the people living in this summer Capital while the politicians from the More
Inspects Developmental Works
Doda, May 14: Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi Azad, who is on a visit to the earthquake-affected Doda district, Tuesday visited quake hit areas of Bhaderwah, Ghat and Doda town More
- South Asia
NISAR AHMED THOKAR
Islamabad, May 14: Chairman of the United Jehad Council (UJC) Syed Salahuddin has felicitated the PML-N Chief Nawaz Sharif on his landmark victory in the recent polls in Pakistan.“We express our sincere More
London, May 14: Lord Nazir Ahmed, the British parliamentarian of Kashmiri origin, has ended his nearly four decades old affiliation with the Labour Party with “a heavy heart” following a row over his alleged More
- Gk Features
A Kashmiri Muslim family has been taking care of a cremation ground for Pandits for over a century in the interiors of Dal Lake
For over a century a Kashmiri Muslim family in Jala Mohalla in the interiors of Dal Lake on the Rainawari side has been taking care of a cremation ground for Kashmiri Pandits even after their migration More