Kashmir protests slapping of PSA on Aasiya, Fahmeeda

Girl injured with stone in Chadoora; Clashes in Anantnag against student arrests; Restrictions in old Srinagar areas today: DC

Srinagar, Publish Date: May 20 2017 12:06AM | Updated Date: May 20 2017 12:06AM
Kashmir protests slapping of PSA on Aasiya, FahmeedaPhoto: Mir Wasim/ GK

Massive clashes erupted across Kashmir after congregational Friday prayers while joint resistance leaders and activists staged a protest at Maisuma here against slapping of Public Safety Act on Dukhtaran-e-Millat chief Aasiya Andrabi and her close aide Fahmeeda Sofi. Both Aasiya and Fehmeeda were recently shifted to Amphala jail.


Reports said soon after Friday prayers ended at Jamia Masjid in old Srinagar, scores of youth assembled at Nowhatta Chowk, carrying flags and raising pro-freedom slogans. Police and paramilitary CRPF men, deployed in strength, used force against the protesters who retaliated with stones, triggering clashes that later spilled over to Rajouri Kadal, Hawal, Saraf Kadal and other adjoining areas.



Outraged at slapping of PSA on Aasiya and Fahmeeda and shifting them to a Jammu jail, various leaders from joint resistance camp staged a protest at Maisuma here on Friday. The state government booked Aasiya and Fameeda under PSA earlier this week. Aasiya is the first woman resistance leader in Kashmir who has been slapped with 20 PSAs since 1993.    

In a statement here, a spokesman of joint resistance leadership said: “Leaders including Showkat Ahmad Bakhshi, Muhammad Altaf Shah, Meraj-ud-din Kalwal, Noor Muhammad Kalwal, Sheikh Abdur Rashid, Zahoor Ahmad Butt, Bashir Ahmad Kashmiri, Siraj-ud-Din Mir, Muhammad Sideeq Shah, Mukhtar Ahmad Sofi, Nisar Hussain Rather and Muhammad Ramzan Khan along with hundreds of people from all walks of life gathered at Maisuma and marched towards Jehangir Chowk.”

“The protestors were raising slogans against state-sponsored extremism especially incarceration of ailing Aasiya Andrabi and her associate and shifting them to a Jammu jail. Protesters were holding placards displaying slogans in favor of Aasiya and other prisoners,” he said.

After reaching near Budshah chowk protesters sat down on a peaceful sit-in. Many leaders addressed the protesters and urged them to remain steadfast on their resolve, the spokesman said.



Activists of Hurriyat Conference (M) assembled outside Jamia Masjid at Nowahtta and staged a protest against slapping of PSA on Aasiya and Fameeda.

The protest was led by senior Hurriyat leader Ghulam Nabi Zaki. Others who participated included Khalil Muhammad, Mushtaq Sofi, Abdur Rashid Untoo, A.M Wani, G.H.Mir, Jaffaar Kashmiri and others. The protestors were demanding immediate release of Aasiya and other prisoners.



Reports said scores of people after offering Friday prayers at Markaz-i-Jamia Masjid in north Kashmir’s Sopore area took out a protest march against slapping of PSA on Aasiya and detention of youths in Kashmir.

As the protestors tried to march towards main chowk, police intercepted them and tried to push them back by resorting to baton charge and teargas shelling. “Youth offered stiff resistance and retaliated with stones, triggering clashes,” reports added.

Reports said soon after the congregational prayers ended, youth took to the streets at Trehgam in Kupwara district and staged a massive protest against the alleged highhandedness of government forces and slapping of Public Safety Act on Aasiya Andrabi.

“They marched towards main market Trehgam where they were intercepted by the forces personnel. However, protesters refused to budge and clashed with the forces who fired teargas canisters to disperse them. A youth hit by a teargas shell was referred to SMHS Srinagar,” witnesses said.



A girl identified as Insha Fayaz of Kralpora was hit by a stone in her ear in Chadoora town of Budgam district during clashes between youth and government forces on Friday evening, reports said.

Insha was rushed to Sub District Hospital Chadoora where she was treated.  “The girl was injured when some youth pelted stones at an Army vehicle in the town,” reports said.

Meanwhile, mild clashes broke out in Kanihama and Mazhama villages of Magam town against the alleged detention of half a dozen youth during a nocturnal raid.

Clashes erupted between youth and government forces in Hajin area of north Kashmir's Bandipora district and in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district soon after congregational Friday prayers ended. 

Reports said youth marched towards main chowk from Jamia Masjid Hajin and hurled stones at the forces deployed there. Forces responded by firing tear smoke shells, triggering clashes.

Clashes also erupted in Pulwama town after youth hurled stones on forces personnel this afternoon.


The Srinagar district administration has decided to impose restrictions in areas falling under three police stations, Maharajgunj, Safakadal and Nowhatta in old Srinagar as a “precautionary measure” on Saturday.

“Areas falling under three police stations will witness restrictions on Saturday,” Deputy Commissioner Srinagar, Farooq Ahmed Lone said.

Officials said restrictions come in the wake of Hafta-e-Shahdat program of Hurriyat Conference (M) scheduled to be held at Mirwazi Manzil at Rajouri Kadal.


Amid spontaneous shutdown, fierce clashes erupted between protesters and government forces in south Kashmir’s Anantnag town on Friday, witnesses said.

They said early in the morning, youth assembled at Lal Chowk and started pelting stones on forces personnel who retaliated with tear smoke shelling and pepper gas, triggering chaos and massive clashes which spread to old town areas including Mehandi Kadal, Court Road, Achabal Adda, Janglat Mandi, Sherpora, Reeshi Bazar, Cheeni Chowk, Malakhnag, Dangerpora, Mattan Adda and Kadipora. The shopkeepers also downed their shutters while educational institutions remained closed.

The students of various educational institutions also joined the protests. They were demanding release of fellow students arrested by police during the clashes on Thursday. Many girl students were seen clashing with forces at Kadipora locality of old town. Soon, the additional forces were deployed in the town to bring situation under control.

Pertinently, the trouble had started on Thursday after policemen allegedly roughed up a shopkeeper in Dangerpora locality, triggering protests by traders. Soon, the situation turned ugly after youth and students joined the protests.


A police spokesman said: “Today morning some miscreants tried to enforce the shutdown in Lalchowk of Anantnag town by pelting stones. Police reached the spot and chased the miscreants away with the help of the traders. Normalcy was restored and the market opened up.”


(Reporting by Ghulam Muhammad, Khalid Gul, Altaf Baba)

This site uses cookies to deliver our services and to show you relevant news and ads. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service.That's Fine