Contractors call off strike after PAO roll back

Srinagar, Publish Date: Mar 14 2018 12:57AM | Updated Date: Mar 14 2018 12:57AM
Contractors call off strike after PAO roll back

The Contractors who had been on strike for past 15 days against implementation of Pay and Accounts Office (PAO) System, called of their protest on Tuesday soon after finance minister Altaf Bukhari ordered the deferment of the new system till March 2018.

Welcoming the deferment of the PAO system the contractors termed it a “big relief”. They had been protesting from 27 February and had padlocked the engineering complex at Rajbagh.

The president J&K contractors’ coordination committee Ghulam Jeelani Purza said a contractor’s delegation called on Bukhari in Jammu and apprised him about the problems they were facing due to the PAO system. 

“After giving us a patient hearing the minister issued the orders for deferment of PAO system during the meeting,” he said. “We have now decided to end the strike.”

Purza said regarding their pending liabilities with different departments, the minister assured that they would be cleared by or before 31 March 2018.

“The minister assured us that he would convene the meeting of all departments, roads and buildings, public health engineering and irrigation and flood control and will try his best to clear the liabilities by the March end,” he said. 

Purza however said they won’t participate in tendering process till the liabilities are cleared.