Day 60 | Toll 75: Pellets kill another youth as Kashmir uprising enters 3rd month today

Woman battles for life at SKIMS | Bandipora youth suffers critical injury in abdomen | 200 more injured in day-long clashes | Thousands attend Sopore teenager’s funeral | Cop injured in accidental pellet fire in Shopian

Anantnag/ Srinagar, Publish Date: Sep 6 2016 11:43PM | Updated Date: Sep 7 2016 12:17PM
Day 60 | Toll 75: Pellets kill another youth as Kashmir uprising enters 3rd month todayPhoto: Mir Wasim/GK

On a day the J&K government sought to justify in the High Court the use of “non-lethal” pellets as “modern means of crowd control”, a 20-year-old youth was killed in pellet firing by forces in Seer Hamdan area of South Kashmir’s Anantnag district while a woman was also seriously injured there.

Meanwhile, the Kashmir uprising triggered by the killing of Hibzul Mujahideen commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani on July 8 entered its third month, but protests and clashes continue unabated.


At least 150 protestors sustained pellet and teargas shell injuries—100 of them in Seer Hamdan alone—in South Kashmir areas on Tuesday, reports and witnesses said. The people, according to witnesses, were protesting peacefully against nocturnal raids by forces in Seer-Hamdan village where the youth, identified as Naseer Ahmad son of Ghulam Hassan Bhat—a BA pass out—was killed. The killing came amid growing clamor for banning pellet guns, and also a day after Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh assured in Srinagar of “doing away” with use of pellets.

Doctors at Sub-District Hospital at Seer Hamdan said Ahmad was brought dead there with multiple pellet injuries. “He had multiple pellets in chest which had pierced through his heart,” a doctor said.

A woman, identified as 35-year-old Jameela, wife of Ghulam Mohiuddin Sheikh was also critically injured in the forces’ action and is battling for life at SK Institute of Medical Sciences in Srinagar. Jameela is married in nearby Manigam-Saalia area and was at her parents’ home in Seer when pellets hit her.

Doctors at District Hospital Anantnag—where she taken from SDH Seer—said she was hit on her head and was referred to SKIMS in a critical condition.  “She had pellet injuries in her head and was also hit with something, probably gun-butts,” they said.

Doctors at SKIMS Soura told Greater Kashmir that she needs to be operated upon soon, but may lose her vision in both eyes, for rest of her life “in case she survives.”

“She has suffered occipital bone fracture with underlying brain damage. Whole of her occipital lobe is shattered and even if she survives she can’t see for rest of her life,” they said. 

Stating her condition is “very critical”, the doctors further said: “We can’t say anything about her survival right now as secondary brain damage occurs after 24 to 48 hours.”

At Seer, over a 110 people were injured in the forces’ action, most of them with pellets, on Tuesday. “The injured were being treated at Primary Health Centre Seer and SDH Seer, while three of the seriously injured are being treated at District Hospital Anantnag,” locals said.

People called the forces’ action as “completely unprovoked.” They said they were peacefully protesting against the alleged high-handedness of forces who had barged into their homes and thrashed inmates, apart from damaging windowpanes and other furniture and electric appliances.

“Police and paramilitary forces conducted a terrifying nocturnal raid in the village to arrest some youth, but their attempt was foiled by people who had been acting as volunteers to keep a vigil throughout the night,” residents of Seer Hamdan said.

They said at 3 am, the forces again raided the village, barged into houses, ransacked goods and mercilessly beat up inmates, including women and children.

“Early morning, people of the area including scores of women hit the streets and started protesting peacefully against the forces’ highhandedness,” they said.

In the meantime, they narrated, a huge contingent of police and CRPF men reached the spot and without any provocation started indiscriminate pellet firing and beating people.

“It was chaos all around as people were running for safety,” witnesses said.

They said the injured were “lying all around.” “The forces had come with the intent to kill,” the witnesses alleged, adding: “Jameela, the woman who was grievously injured after being showered with pellets, fell down and was hit with gun-butts too.”

The deceased Naseer—besides his parents—is survived by three sisters and an elder brother. His father is a carpenter by profession and according to villagers, he was an excellent sportsperson.

As the word about his death spread in the area, people held massive anti-India and pro-freedom protests. Thousands participated in his funeral prayers amid pro-freedom and anti-India sloganeering. A report said the Hurriyat Conference (G) Chairman Syed Ali Geelani addressed the mourners telephonically. Naseer was later laid to rest, with all eyes around moist.

Meanwhile, forces conducted nocturnal raids in Pahloo village in Kulgam district and arrested 15 youth. “The forces also ransacked household goods and smashed windowpanes, besides beating up inmates,” the villagers alleged.

Huge freedom-cum-unity rallies of various sects continued to be held on Tuesday.  One such massive rally was organized in Kelam village of Kulgam district in which people were seen raising pro-freedom slogans.  Another rally was held in Kharwara in Shopian district while an all-women rally was held in Ruhmoo village of Pulwama which was also reportedly addressed by Geelani. Clashes were also reported from some Shopian areas.

A policeman was critically injured in Shopian district after pellet gun he was carrying went off accidentally, sources said. “The policeman on duty accidentally fired his pellet rifle into his abdomen, injuring himself grievously," they said. The cop identified as Mudassir was airlifted to Srinagar in a critical condition. Clashes also erupted in areas of Shopian town.

Reports of protests and clashes also came in from Sangam, Vesu and Qazigund in Anantnag district; Kaimoh in Kulgam district and Charsoo in Pulwama district.


More than 25,000 people attended funeral prayers of teenager Musaib Majeed Nagoo in Sonawani area of Sopore, amid wails and pro-freedom sloganeering by people. Musaib succumbed to his injuries at Srinagar’s SMHS hospital late on Monday evening. He had sustained serious head injuries reportedly due to a teargas shell.

The slain youth had secured 89% marks in Class 10th examination and his father remembers him as an ‘intelligent boy.’ Musaib was a Class 12th student who aspired to become an engineer.

The slain boy’s funeral prayers were offered outside SMHS Hospital in Srinagar on Monday evening, while the body was taken to his ancestral village Sonawani at around 5 am on Tuesday for the last rites.

“At various places, we were stopped by forces and they asked us if it is the body of Musaib. But we told them it’s not. Then they asked us about the cause of his death, and in order to save ourselves, we told them he died a natural death,” said the slain youth’s father, Abdul Majeed.

Meanwhile, hundreds of women—beating their chests—also marched with the funeral procession at Sonawani.  Reports said clashes erupted in the village after Musaib’s funeral prayers were held. Forces resorted to firing of dozens of tear-gas shells and pellets, leaving at least 12 youth injured. 

According to reports, massive protests were also witnessed in Muslim Peer, Chanakhan, Bomia, Main Chowk and BrathKalan areas of Sopore.

Meanwhile, reports said Tehreek-e-Hurriyat president Ghulam Mustafa Wani, 75, was detained by police near Fruit Mandi Sopore where cops had already laid a siege.

In Baramulla, bridges connecting old town with Civil Lines areas were closed with barbed wire. Intermittent clashes were reported from Pattan market while at Palhallan, youth staged a unique protest with bats and balls in their hands.

Reports from Bandipora district said a youth was injured after being hit by pellets during clashes with forces in Papchan area. He was shifted to Sub-district hospital where from he was referred to Srinagar for specialized treatment, they said.

Doctors said the youth, identified as Ovais Shaif (20), son of Muhammad Shafi Mir, of Nusoo area, had suffered injury due to pellets in his abdomen. “He has a deep wound in his abdomen caused by pellets and has been referred to Srinagar,” they said.

As the news of this injury spread, protests broke out in Nusoo village where people, including women, marched towards Papchan where a CRPF camp is located.

Meanwhile, peaceful protest rally by women was held in Ajas village from Hanfia Masjid to Eidgah amid pro-freedom and anti-India sloganeering. The rally, however, culminated peacefully.

Reports said peaceful protest rally was also held in Onagam village where hundreds of protestors assembled in Eidgah and raised pro-freedom slogans. Reports of clashes were also received from Ajar area where youth pelted stones on a local CRPF camp. The forces, according to locals, responded by firing tear-gas shells. However, there were no reports of any injuries. Late evening reports said a youth sustained pellet injuries in arm and leg at Watpora Bandipora. He was identified as Shakir Ahmed son of Muhamamd Ramzan Sheikh of Qazipora. He was shifted to SDH Bandipora. 

In Kupwara district, a pro-freedom rally was held in Supernaghama village. Forces, according to reports, fired teargas shells and pellets into it, causing injuries to at least 30 people. 

Witnesses from Qaziabad Handwara said that forces “created havoc when it foiled a pro-freedom rally.” “The cops resorted to intense shelling, leaving dozens of people wounded. They even showered pellets on those who were present in their houses,” the locals alleged. Evening reports said two youth sustained injuries at Trehgam in pellet firing. Both were shifted to SDH Kupwara wherefrom one with pellet injuries in eyes, was shifted to a Srinagar hospital. Clashes were going on in Trehgam when this report was filed. Reports said forces foiled pro-freedom rally at Batergam, Kupwara where authorities imposed strict curfew. Meanwhile, protests and clashes were held at Yaroo, Langate against the detention of youth.


While restrictions continued to remain in place in many old city areas, a massive pro-freedom rally started from Nohwatta that passed through Hawal, Rajouri Kadal, Nawakadal and culminated peacefully. Clashes were held in Rainawari, Zaldgar, Tangbagh, Eidgah, Palpora, Noorbagh, Chattabal, Qamarwari, Safa Kadal, Nopora, Sekidafar and other areas. A peaceful protest rally was also held at Khanyar area too.

In old city clashes, at least six youth sustained injuries. Evening clashes were held in Nawabazar, reports said.

In Srinagar areas, shops opened after 6 pm on the call of joint resistance leadership. Shops opened in Lal Chowk, Jehangir Chowk and Regal Chowk also after 6 pm.

Reports of evening protests poured in from uptown areas that include Nowgam, Lasjan, Soiteng, Hyderpora, Peerbagh, Rawalpora, Barzulla and Rambagh. However, there was no report of any injury. Meanwhile, angry protestors burnt an abandoned forces’ bunker in Mehjoor Nagar area of Srinagar. Witnesses said the protestors demolished the bunker brick by brick and later set ablaze its roof on a road. Nobody was present in the bunker at the time of attack.

The residents of Rangreth area on outskirts of Srinagar alleged that forces barged into their homes and ransacked belongings. A local told Greater Kashmir that the forces entered their areas early Tuesday and thrashed inmates without any provocation. A bank employee said the forces have sealed the area and no one is allowed to move in or out.

Late evening reports said that five youth sustained pellet injury during clashes at Rainwarai area, with one of them reportedly losing his front teeth.


A complete shutdown was observed in entire Ganderbal district. Men and women from its Manigam area held peaceful protests. The residents of Kurhama and Baroosa erected barricades in interior roads connecting the localities with Ganderbal-Safapora road and also with Srinagar-Leh highway. The locals said the barricades were erected to stop sudden raids by forces and prevent their vehicles from entering the inner localities.

Reports from Budgam district said protests were held at Ompura, Nasrapora, Khag, Beerwah, and Sozeth against the civilian killings.

Protestors clashed with forces at Ompora Budgam where forces fired dozens of shells at the youth.

Clashes turned violent when forces allegedly broke windowpanes of many residential houses at Beerwah. A peaceful protest rally was also held at Shunglipora, Khag.


According to Divisional Commissioner Kashmir, Baseer Khan, there was no curfew imposed in any part of Kashmir on Tuesday, though restrictions were imposed in areas falling under five Police Stations of Srinagar.

Meanwhile, according to a statement issued by the Zonal Police Headquarters Kashmir, few incidents of stone-pelting were reported from some areas of Srinagar, Anantnag, Sopore and Handwara. “At these places, miscreants assembled on the roads and attempted to disturb the normal traffic and movement of people by pelting stones on vehicles, police and the security forces deployments,” he said.

The spokesman said while dealing with the situation in village Seer Hamdan, Anantnag “where a mob of around 1500 had gathered and started stone pelting on Police and disrupting peace, some persons got injured by pellets and of them one person Naseer Ahmad Mir of Seer Hamdan succumbed to his injuries and another lady Jameela stands admitted in SKIMS Soura.”

(With additional reporting, Altaf Baba, Ghulam Muhammad, Eijaz-ul-Haq, Sheikh Nazir)


This site uses cookies to deliver our services and to show you relevant news and ads. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service.That's Fine