Tral gunfight: One was just hours into militancy, another three weeks, both died at 22

‘Before leaving home he wore new clothes, hugged his parents seeking permission, and returned in a coffin’

Tral, Publish Date: Jun 21 2018 1:03AM | Updated Date: Jun 21 2018 2:24PM
Tral gunfight: One was just hours into militancy, another three weeks, both died at 22GK Photo

One of the three militants killed in an encounter with government forces on Wednesday here had joined the group just a few hours earlier and the other survived as a rebel for three weeks.

AdilAkram Lone, 22, wore new clothes, gave a hug each to his parents after seeking their permission to join the rebel ranks, but hours later he returned in a coffin. 

“With great honor we allowed Adil to join militancy but now we miss him badly. He is my martyr son and I am proud of him,” said a crying SarwaBano, mother of the B-Tech dropout who had joined militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad.

The other militant killed along with Adil was also a 22-year old. He had joined up with the militant group just like most others do, without giving anyone a whiff about it. Unlike Adil he was never detained by the police. 

On May 29, Danish Khaliq Dar left home but did not return and was never heard from again. His family understood he had turned militant only when they saw his photo on social media holding a rifle. “We both offered noon prayers together that day in nearby grand mosque but I never knew he will join militancy,” said his elder brother YounisKhaliq Dar, after leading his funeral prayers.

“He was never part of any protests or stone pelting but something serious was going on in his mind which we failed to detect.” 

On the contrary, Adil’s parents granted their son permission to pick up arms as they felt he had no other choice left after having faced repeated humiliation at the hands of government forces.  

Adil and his younger brother were detained by police several times, according to their relatives.

“Adil had no choice but to join militancy as he was regularly harassed by forces. In 2017 he was detained by forces for a month. During last few days he was again asked by police to report at Awantipora police station which he refused and went missing,” his cousin, also named Adil said.

“Police detained his younger brother when they failed to find him.” 

Their mother Sarwa is mourning but refuses to accept she is sad about Adil’s death.

 “Why should I be sad when my son has become a martyr? He will one day take us along to paradise.”

A childhood friend of Danish’s said a ‘fidayeen’ was his hero.

“He was my close friend who always adored militancy. He used to call slain fidayeenFardeen Ahmed Khanday as his hero,” said his friend. 

“He has no worldly dream but was passionate about “Azadi’.” 

Danish and Adil were lowered into their separate graves on Wednesday at Pinglish and Nazneenpora, their respective ancestral graveyards in their respective villages in Tral. 

The bodies of both were wrapped in Pakistani flag.  

This site uses cookies to deliver our services and to show you relevant news and ads. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service.That's Fine