On Ist anniversary of 9-year old Umar Farooq’s murder, family in distress demands justice

On Ist anniversary of 9-year old Umar Farooq’s murder, family in distress demands justice

A year has passed since Umar Farooq, a 2nd standard student, was brutally murdered in Kupwara. His body was found on 19 July last year. A Special Investigation Team constituted by Jammu and Kashmir Police failed to crack case for more than a month of investigation, then Crime Branch took over the case but they are yet to arrest the culprits.

On the first death anniversary, villagers thronged Umar'shome to console the family.

Umar, lone brother of six sisters, went missing fromBatergam market on 16th July. Subsequently his family, neighbours, relativesand police tried hard to locate him, but failed for three days during whichprotests took place in the area to demand about his whereabouts.

On 19th of July his half-burnt body with chopped left armwas recovered from a nallah near Gushi, around two kilometers from his nativeplace, three days after his missing report was filed at police station Kupwara.

Umar was the only hope for his sisters, the sole brother wasprofoundly loved and taken care of, and being from a poor family his sistersdid menial jobs in the nearby house holds to meet the daily needs of theirfamily.

"Umar's death has devastated the family who are visitingevery door where they see a ray of hope to get justice for their murdered son,"said Bashir Ahmad, maternal uncle of Umar.

After one and a half month of investigation by SIT ofPolice, Government handed over the case to Crime Branch in September last year.

"A year has elapsed, yet no solid lead is found in themysterious death of our boy," Bashir said.

"The file is under investigation. We have constituted aspecial investigating team to investigate the case," then inspector general ofpolice Crime, Syed Afadul Mujtaba, had told this reporter on 21 September lastyear when the case was taken up by his department.

A case under FIR No. 192/2018 under section 302, 363 RPCstands registered at police station Kupwara.

Inspector General of Police, Crime Branch, Mukesh whencontacted by this reporter said, "I have recently joined here. I have to gothrough the file then I can say anything."

The family appealed to the governor and his administrationto pace up the investigation and provide justice to the minor.

Greater Kashmir