Two electrocuted as HT lines fall at Puhru, Budgam

Two persons were electrocuted in central Kashmir’s Budgam district on Saturday when HT lines fell on LT lines supplying power to Puhru village.
Two electrocuted as HT lines fall at Puhru, Budgam
Representational Photo

Two persons were electrocuted in central Kashmir's Budgam district on Saturday when HT lines fell on LT lines supplying power to Puhru village.

The accident created panic as the HT lines sent high voltage electric currents to most of the residential houses in the village, putting life and property at risk and damaging scores of electric gadgets.

The deceased have been identified as Irfan Ahmad Lone (28) s/o Ghulam Hassan and Ajaz Ahmad Bhat (28) s/o Abdur Rashid. Bhat had been married just seven months ago.

Locals told Greater Kashmir that the HT lines fell at around 6:30 a.m. "The supply lines caught fire, spreading fear among the locals. Residential houses especially constructed with cement began to produce electric shocks," said Javid Ahmad Shah, a local resident.

He added that electric and electronic gadgets were damaged while some of them got totally destroyed.

"The circumstances were horrible. People began to switch off electric gadgets. Irfan Ahmad Lone and Ajaz Ahmad Bhat, who became the victims of this accident, also tried to switch off some electric gadgets at their respective residences but got electrocuted in this attempt," Shah added.

Abid Ahmad, another local, said that Bhat's brother Tariq Ahmad tried to save him. "The electric current was so strong that he too received injuries in an attempt to save his brother."

Locals said that both the victims were rushed to hospital where doctors declared them brought dead.

Bhat is survived by his wife and three sisters.

A visit to the village by this reporter revealed that most electric wires pass through trees.

The government suspended the concerned Junior Engineer and ordered inquiry. Minister for Revenue and local MLA, Javid Mustafa Mir, and officials visited the victims' families and participated in the last rites of the deceased.

"I have directed DC Budgam to hold inquiry into the matter and report to the government within 15 days. Concerned JE has been put under suspension for negligence. Government shares the grief and sorrow of the bereaved families and would do everything possible to help them," Mir told Greater Kashmir.

He added that soon after receiving news of the unfortunate incident he rushed to the area. "DC Budgam had arrived here at 8 a.m while other officials were also on the spot by 8:30 a.m. I hail the efforts of officials for reaching out to the bereaved families within no time and sharing their grief and sorrow," he said.

He added that he has directed concerned officials to repair the HT lines and to ensure that no such unfortunate incident occurs again.

However, an official spokesman said, "The two youth were restoring the power supply in the area following a short circuit when the tragic incident happened."

No stories found.
Greater Kashmir