The Centre has sanctioned Rs 258 crore for restoration of infrastructure of Jammu and Kashmir Police that was damaged during the 2014 deluge.
The decision was taken following a request by the Jammu and Kashmir government to the Home Ministry, official sources said.
The proposal for seeking one-time budgetary support of Rs 286.57 crore under Security Related Expenditure (SRE) for the restoration of infrastructure of Jammu and Kashmir Police damaged during floods in September 2014 was sent to the central government about a year ago.
Subsequently, the proposal was deliberated by the Department of Expenditure in the Ministry of Finance.
Now, the Ministry of Finance has recommended release of 90 per cent of the amount i.E. Rs 258 crore and remaining 10 per cent will be contributed by the state government, the sources said.
However, the central assistance will be restricted to Rs 258 crore with any additionality or escalation in the costs or cost components to be borne by the Jammu and Kashmir government.
The Finance Ministry also set a few more conditions like no overlapping of funding for the items agreed for onetime relief, with funding, if any, under any other scheme.
There should be convergence for the items agreed for onetime relief, under other schemes, if available, to the extent possible. Besides, funds will be released on reimbursement basis as per the SRE scheme guidelines.
The permanent restoration of infrastructure shall be completed approximately within one year and the expenditure shall be booked in two financial years, the sources said.
The fund release for the purpose shall be restricted accordingly and no further extension of the funding period shall be allowed, they added.