Shopian: Left for Eid prayers, returned dead

He had left on Eid for prayers not knowing he shall never return to his home.
Shopian: Left for Eid prayers, returned dead
GK Photo

He had left on Eid for prayers not knowing he shall never return to his home. Shahid Ahmad Seh of Urpora village, according to his family, had left his home early in the morning on September 13 to offer Eid prayers at Shopian town.  

"My son was killed on Eid at Bonnebazar in Shopian town when forces fired pellets from close range at his chest. He was not missing from home for two days as was claimed by the police and reported by official news and by some other private TV channels," , says his father Muhammad Yousuf Seh.

While recounting what happened on the day, Yousuf says whole family including Shahid took the morning tea together at around 7 O'clock. "That very time Shahid informed me that he was going to Shopian Eidgah to offer prayers there. I told him it was not possible as all roads had been blocked," he says. 

"Since he did not insist to go, I thought he shall not go. I finished my tea and left home for prayers at Nagbal."

Unmindful of his son's absence, Shahid's father after returning home from prayers was preparing for sacrifice of a sheep (the main ritual of Eid-ul-Azha) when someone told him the most horrific news of his life.

"I was doing the sacrifice of sheep, never knowing that I am in the process of offering a bigger Qurbani," he says, while recalling that a cousin of Shahid had come and asked in hushed tones where was Shahid?

"He (the cousin) informed me that there was a rumour in village that some boys from the village who had gone to Shopian town to offer Eid prayers had got injured.

"It was not just a rumour. Shahid along with five more boys from the village had gone to Shopian town to offer prayers there. They had decided to head for UN office Srinagar from there as per the calendar issued by the resistance camp," he says.

Paternal cousin of Shahid, Muhammad Abas Seh said: "As soon as Shahid along with others had reached Bonnebazar, forces had come from behind and chased them with teargas shells. While running Shahid fell down and he was showered with pellets on his chest from close range." 

Abas alleged that the forces did not allow anybody to go near Shahid who had received serious injuries and was lying on the road.

"When some people ultimately took him from there and wanted to take him to Shopian hospital they (the forces) did not allow them. Ultimately, they had to take him 12 km from there to PHC Harmeen, where he was declared brought dead. If forces would have allowed them to go to main hospital Shopian, which was less than half a kilometre from the incident site, Shahid may have survived," says Abas.

"The only regret we have is that he was not allowed to be taken to the nearest hospital on time, rest life and death is in the hands of Allah," Shahid's father adds. 

"It is the most unfortunate that on a day which is meant for celebrations and jubilations, we have lost our most beloved."

Shahid was an obedient son of his parents. He passed his class 12 exam with commerce subjects recently and was waiting for next session to join college.

"He was not a vagabond. He would help me in orchards, do all the house chores happily and behave decently," says Yousuf.

No stories found.
Greater Kashmir