The police have so far identified 19 youth who have lost over 70% percent vision due to pellets during 2016 uprising and the verification process is on.
This follows after J&K government directed police to verify the number of youth who have lost over 70% vision due to pellets fired by government forces while quelling the massive protests since HM commander was killed on July 8, 2016.
"The directive came in January after Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti announced in Assembly that government will give free education and jobs to those who lost their eye sight due to pellets," a senior police officer involved in the exercise told Greater Kashmir.
"The details about the persons who lost their lives, received injuries or lost their eyesight due to pellets in recent law and order disturbances in the Valley are being collected/compiled from various sources and agencies," the CM had informed the Legislative Assembly in January.
The officer said they face certain hiccups during the verifications of such persons. "The victims are now coming in open. After the announcement of the government more victims are coming in open otherwise they used to hide themselves."
The estimates by rights groups and NGOs have suggested that over 60 people, mostly youth, fully lost their vision due to pellets during the 2016 uprising.
The official records suggest that at least 500 pellet victims are aged under 20 years of age and a vast majority of them are students who are still recuperating.