SHRC seeks Govt’s response on petition demanding special homes for families of returnee militants

SHRC seeks Govt’s response on petition demanding special homes for families of returnee militants

Moved by the plight of wives and children of former militants who returned home from Pakistan-administered Kashmir and Pakistan under a government rehabilitation policy, the state human rights commission Wednesday sought government's response to demands of setting up special homes for them until they are sent back. 

The demand was made in apetition to the SHRC by rights activist Ahsan Untoo, after hearing which anotice was issued to the state's home secretary for the government's response.

Hundreds of former militants have returned to Kashmir valleyfrom Pakistan-administered Kashmir and Pakistan along with their wives andchildren who have no documents or citizen rights.

The militants had gone across the Line of Control for armstraining during the 1990s but never came back to fight.

Instead they married local women from PaK and Pakistan andraised families until government announced a rehabilitation policy for them in2010 to facilitate their return.

"When the said policy was announced the wider publicationwas given in the print, electronic and social media. Immediately one of thepersons who had crossed LoC in early 90's namely Liyaqat Khan and his wife wereexcited to avail the rehabilitation policy but unfortunately the person and hiswife were arrested, which created controversy over the rehabilitation policy,"reads Untoo's petition.

"Despite of the fact the Union Government was not inclinedto make this policy successful, still then the persons who had crossed the LoCin early 90's managed to come to their native place but the respondents(authorities) arrested them along with their family members. Although, theywere released later on by the judicial process."

The petitioner also alleged that the rehabilitation policyhas not been implemented by the state government.

"Situation took a serious mode when number of women who(had) returned along with their husbands were divorced by them or whosehusbands expired…want to visit their parental home."

But they have not been provided passports forcing them intodestitution and statelessness.

"…there is no one to lookafter them and it is the duty of the state government to take immediate stepsregarding their parental home along with their children to other side ofKashmir. It is also duty of the state government establish special homes forthese destitute ladies and their children till they are deputed to other sideof LOC," the petition states.

Related Stories

No stories found.
Greater Kashmir